Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Shuts Down PC

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
DSNR
2455 Views, 15 Replies

Inventor Shuts Down PC

Alright guys this one is a little tricky........

I am in my top level assembly about 20,000 total approx. 700 unique parts. Anytime I try to pattern (array) or mirror a set of subassemblies (could be other commands too), my machine shows the preview view and churns and churns, then all of a sudden shuts mu pc off abruptly and instanly. There are no warnings no blue screen just shuts down. Upon start-up I get the windows message that it was not shut down properly bla bla bla...

I am running Windows 7, 64 bit version and have a Nvidia Quadro FX 880M

Computer is pretty new, Elitebook 8540w Intel Core i7 vPro

I have tried everything, not sure what to do here, Anyone else having this problem or a fix tro it??????????????

Thanx

Tags (1)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
ampster402
in reply to: DSNR

do you hear a cpu fan running at all?

Sort of sounds like your system is over heating and shutting itself down.

Message 3 of 16
DarrenP
in reply to: ampster402

don't know why your blaming inventor

this is a computer hardware issue possibly a overheating problem

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 16
DSNR
in reply to: DarrenP

The computer the fan is running and running perfectly... Still not sure why this happens!!!!!!!!!

Message 5 of 16
DarrenP

call up computer support

not an autodesk issue

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 16
JDMather

@DSNR wrote:

The computer the fan is running and running perfectly... Still not sure why this happens!!!!!!!!!

What diagnostics evidence do you have that, "everything is running perfectly"?

I'll wager that either something is overheating in your system or there is a faulty sensor in your system that is saying something is overheating or failing in some way (RAM, CPU, Graphics card or HDD).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 16
dragondesign

It could also be the power supply. Either being overtaxed or its fan is failing and it is overheating.

Dell T3500 - Intel Xeon W3503, 2.4GHz
12 gb Ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 580
Win 7 Professional 64, Inventor 2013 Ultimate

Dell XPS M1530 Intel Core2Duo 2.4GHz
6 gb Ram, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT
Win 8 Pro 64, Inv 2013 Ultimate
Message 8 of 16
DSNR
in reply to: dragondesign

This is a recent issue and I am assuming it is the CPU...

I never blamed this on Inventor, mearly asking if anyone has had the issue so chill with the hostility!

Before this started shutting down my cpu, I ran a similar pattern (array) and it took almost 2 hrs to complete!

So I am not in doubt that its the CPU's fault for shutting down, but does anyone have the issue of mirrors and patterning (array) taking an extreamly long amount of time, and if so how can I reduce the time it takes to process...

I have suppressed everything in the assembly that is not used on the command and still no effect in length!!!

What to do What to do???

Oh and thank you to all who helped with this I am currently running a stress test on my cpu to see where the falure is!!!

Message 9 of 16
JDMather

@DSNR wrote:

... but does anyone have the issue of mirrors and patterning (array) taking an extreamly long amount of time, and if so how can I reduce the time it takes to process...

AutoCAD to finish the patttern features.

or maybe Fusion (haven't tried large patterns yet in Fusion).  The parametric overhead in Inventor seems to be deadly for large patterns.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 10 of 16
ampster402

Something to note, although the stress test may find it anyway...

You may hear a fan going, but considering that pc's will be using 2 if not 3 or more fans (CPU, power supply and graphics card if equipped), I'd take the cover off and peer inside to see what fan/s are actually working.

Message 11 of 16
DSNR
in reply to: ampster402

THank s Guys!!!!

I pulled the cover plates off of the bottom and set it on-top of a small box fan and everything ran perfect, actually better than normal.  

The memory cards are heating up to untouchable levels, not sure yet where the problem is, but it is overheating!!!

Thank You For All Of Your Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 12 of 16
DarrenP

you may want to get it fixed before major damages happen if it hasn't already happened

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 13 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: DarrenP

Maybe we all need fans as big as our CPU covers to run Inventor better!  Smiley Very Happy

EESignature

Message 14 of 16
mbenoy

It's not pretty or anything but I know people have had good luck with cooling pads.

http://tinyurl.com/76e88qr

Michael Benoy
Designer
Scott Safety

Inventor 2013 Pro, Windows 7, 64bit
Intel® Xeon® Processor W3580 (8M Cache, 3.33 GHz)
12 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800
Message 15 of 16
signmeup
in reply to: mbenoy

Can you do something other than pattern the components, such as have a pattern of work features and place your components on the work features, or place and individually constrain components using user parameters to control distances?

Even with proper cooling it seems to be taking you a long time the way you are working.

Have you tried substitute levels of detail in your components?

Product Design Suite 2017, HP Z800 Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz x2, CPU x24, 96Gb, Nvidia Quadro 5000
Message 16 of 16
DSNR
in reply to: signmeup

I can place components and constraints with no problem. The proble comes when I create a pattern or mirror, I am using approx 50 parts for the commands. I am also using level of detail and have gona as far as suppressing all components except for the ones used in the command. This is a lare assembly with more that 20,000 parts.

With the fan, Patterning 50 parts 3 times in an array configuration took approx. 20 minutes to complete. I agree this is a long time, I've just chalked it up to how large the assembly is. On smaller sub-assemblies it is just about instant for those oporations!!!

Any suggestions on why it is slow, too large of an assembly? Do you know of any proformance boosters I can use>???

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report