Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Sheet Metal Issue with a bend in the middle of a part.

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
rg97
1016 Views, 5 Replies

Inventor Sheet Metal Issue with a bend in the middle of a part.

Hi! I've been using inventor for a few years now, but the company that I work for has started transitioning to sheet metal modeling/drafting. I started fresh with sheet metal two days ago, and I've run into a problem that neither youtube nor here has been able to fix yet, or at least help. 

I'll try to describe the best I can in words, but maybe your best bet is to open the files and see.

The first file (BWing) is a normal .ipt that I modeled a while ago, that is correct. Now, I need it to go into sheet metal. Easy, right? Just take the .ipt and convert it. but I keep getting an error/glitch when I get to the flat pattern.  Just doesnt unfold in one spot right. I messed with it for a day to no avail so I just decided to start on a new sheet metal part. (see 2nd attachment) I need to put the loop in the middle into sheet metal. I havent found anywhere where can explain. Contour flange has not worked. 

If I could fix the first .ipt to fold flat right, or could get some help on the "loop" I'd be glad.

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks

Rheese G

rg97

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: rg97

While you wait for a solution - there are 2 Service Packs for 2014 that you should install.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
JDMather

I wasn't sure about some of the dimensions since the part was poorly modeled - especially Sketch2 for Cut1.

It is also unclear to me whether you want that little trianglular feature to be planar or curved.  (I modeled curve - could change easily change it to planar.)

Curved.PNG

Anyhow - the attached part should give you some ideas.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 6
CCarreiras

Hi!

First part:

The main rule to flat a part is... you must ensure all the part has the same thickness all over.

You doesnt have the same thickness all over the part.

Clipboard13.png

My advice:

First:: Constrain the sketches. (your sketch is a mess)
Second: for this case, build the first extrude based in one profile line and extrude a surface, not a solid.
Third: Apply to this surface the "Thicken" tool with a value equal to the thickness you want in your part.
Then it can be flattened.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
rg97
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for your help JD thats just about exactly what I was looking for. Sorry about poor modelling, I've been using Inventor for a while but I'm definitely still learning, and I do it the way I can understand it. I've been trying to catch myself more lately, because I delete dimensions almost unknowingly to get a better view of the sketch... (thats why a lot of it is unconstrained, I fixed it though now)

Those triangular latches on the end of the part end exactly as the part begins to curve (so they are planar), and in the program they are .013" into the curve so its fine for a rough draft. But you were right to model the curve into it.

------------

ccarreiras, Thank you as well. That was the problem I was having with the first .ipt, I checked through it but I couldnt find the part where the thickness was not even. 

Message 6 of 6
CCarreiras

Hi!

If you work carefully, you will be able to discard half of dimensions by applying geometric constraints; like equal elements, point aligned vertical or horizontal, symmetry, etc etc... if you look at this parts you presented.... they are symmetric, so you will only need about half of dimensions!!!
If you make a effort to ensure the sketches constrained just in the beginning, just in the firsts elements you draw, it will be esyer to control your sketch, use the center point to fix geometry... make this like a rule to yourself now, and later this will be natural for you, and your parts will be a lot better.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report