Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Service Pack 1 Installation Error

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
calvin.chin
1536 Views, 13 Replies

Inventor Service Pack 1 Installation Error

Hi,

Did any of you encounter the following errors when you try to install Service Pack 1 for Inventor ? What should I do then ?
2014-09-15_14-58-12.png

2014-09-15_15-00-29.png

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
rangt
in reply to: calvin.chin

Are you seeing this as you try to install the 2015 Sp1 on top of a 2015 Release build?  Have you consumed any of the 2015 updates and or Hot Fixes?

Do you have multiple releases of Inventor installed on the same machine?

Tom Rang
Software Quality Assurance Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 14
calvin.chin

I have only Product Design Suite Ultimate 2015 in my PC, and I have update 1 and update 2 for Inventor installed in it...
Message 4 of 14
AustinLiu

Hi Calvin,

May you please try to uninstall all the existing updates and hotfixes for Inventor 2015 and then reinstall the SP1?

We added a check of those existing installations for SP1 to avoid an uninstall issue after SP1 patched, but the check should be only working for hotfix, not update...

Sorry for the inconvnience.

Thanks,

-Austin

Austin-Zongjie Liu
Zongjie.Liu@autodesk.com
Design, Lifecycle & Simulation
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 14
marka
in reply to: AustinLiu

A little late to the SP1 party, but I have the exact same issue.  I'm not sure how to uninstall the update1, update2, and any hotfixes but I will try.

FYI, I should not have to do this, spending my time to fix not-freeware Autodesk Software.  Dont they test these things before sending out.  I did look for the INV19022 hot fix, page has been removed, go figure.

Mark A.
Goodfellow Crushers
Message 6 of 14
rangt
in reply to: marka

I am sorry for the trouble it's brought to you.  We were aware of the issue at release time but there wasn't a real clean way to address it besides our recommendation to uninstall the Hotfix first.  Those instructions are in the readme file here:

Tom Rang
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 14
marka
in reply to: rangt

When I read the readme file, I didnt see that section, I went straight to the fixed issues.  This is the first time I remember having to uninstall something to install something else.

Thanks

Mark A.
Goodfellow Crushers
Message 8 of 14
Neil_Cross
in reply to: marka

"I am sorry for the trouble it's brought to you.  We were aware of the issue at release time but there wasn't a real clean way to address it besides our recommendation to uninstall the Hotfix first.  Those instructions are in the readme file here:"

I'm in no place or position to lecture on or advise Autodesk internal procedures, but this is terrible PR.  I've hit the exact same issue, and I'm seeing error after error when trying to remove the old hotfixes for Inv2015.  Like the guy above said, I shouldn't have to spend my time trying to fix a fix which was made to fix stuff.

Autodesk top brass needs a **** good shaking.  After several years of troublesome 'unfinished' and problematic buggy products on launch, so much so that many companies now can't risk installing the first release and wait til SP1, you'd think someone would learn.  It's stuff like this which gives Autodesk a really bad rep.  Do a survey, I'd bet my mortgage that the overwhelming majority of Autodesk users would be more than happy to wait another few weeks for a fixed and working platform than to be handed something that even Autodesk know is full of holes and bugs.  Granted, you can't know them all, but issuing software you knew had problems is quite unacceptable.  Just wait a few weeks, nobody is in an urgent rush to get the new version that much.  They've been using the previous release for long enough to carry on with it a few more weeks.  Not quite the same, but if you bought a car that Mercedes new had safety problems before they began selling it, you'd have something to say about that.  Those safety problems translate into software crashing in this scenario.

That'll never happen though.  And that's my not-so-helpful input.  But you can't deny the current release program is in need of attention.  

Message 9 of 14
SBix26
in reply to: Neil_Cross

The installation instructions were perfectly clear: if you have this one particular hotfix installed, uninstall it before installing SP1.  No reason to "remove the old hotfixes..." or "spend my time trying to fix a fix...".

The rest of your post includes a good bit of hyperbole, and does not match my experience at all.  We have been routinely installing Inventor RTM builds each year.  They are not free of "holes and bugs" (I don't know of any complex application that is), but neither are they full of them.  But there has been nothing that I can recall that made me wish that we had waited for SP1.

Sounds like a frustrating experience, but this is often the case when not reading the instructions carefully (RTFM!).  I got lucky on this one, because I missed that detail, too.  It just happens that we did not have that hotfix installed.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Inventor Professional 2015 SP1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 10 of 14
subpartner
in reply to: SBix26

OK I submit, the readme would have avoided that issue but that wasn't really the focal point of my post.  

Inventor 2013 was the game changer.

The day 1 issues with the then-new material & appearance library where crippling.  At the time I was CAD Manager for one of the biggest Inventor & Vault accounts in the UK and it made me wish I'd never bothered.  Stressful would be an understatement, but that's been and gone.

Before that I worked in an Autodesk reseller for nearly 10 years and put Inventor into hundreds of companies not long after day 1, I always had my Autodesk hat on and defended the ideology of it's safe to install on day 1, but Inventor 2013 completely changed my point of view on that.  And although granted saying 'full of bugs' is a bit of a sensationalised statement, it's always been far from perfect.  A lot of the issues in the product on day 1 tend to be things which most users wouldn't encounter, but the point I was trying to emphasise was that Autodesk shouldn't publicly acknowledge that they knew their product was faulty at point of sale, regardless of severity or disclaimers/legalities stating they have a right to do this, it's just outright bad PR.  Sometimes honesty isn't the best policy.

In all my travels seldom do I speak to a user who hasn't experienced loss of work due to product instability, as AE's we know this isn't always and usually isn't the fault of Inventor but from a typical end user perspective that's not how they see it.  Inventor crashes, it's Inventor that's bad.  It's Inventor that takes the blame.  And then for an Autodesk employee to publicly state they release software which they knew was faulty... that's where I'm coming from there.  Don't get me wrong though I appreciate the work the dev team have put into making the product significantly more stable than years back, and the work they do to swiftly rectify issues that are encountered mid-product cycle.  But it's difficult to defend if a user asks why Inventor was sold to them knowingly faulty.  

Again don't get me wrong I'm the polar opposite of an Autodesk 'hater', my entire career relies on their existence and success.  Cut me open and I bleed Autodesk.  Just, just don't publicly state there's faults with the software at point of sale!  

Message 11 of 14
SBix26
in reply to: subpartner

Materials & Appearances in 2013... with time and a good therapist I have been able to overcome that traumatic period of my life.  It was not pleasant and I spent a lot of unproductive time on it.  But it wasn't exactly a bug, just a poorly implemented major change (still don't know why the user interface has to be so unique and unintuitive), and SP1 didn't fix it.

But I absolutely disagree with you on the honesty thing.  I want Autodesk to get it right, but when they don't, I want them to tell us the truth: what went wrong, why it went wrong, what they're doing to fix it and what they're doing to prevent such things happening again.  That gives me more confidence in the company, not less.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Inventor Professional 2015 SP1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 12 of 14
subpartner
in reply to: SBix26

No no I totally agree with that in general, honesty and transparency, it however often has a significant impact on me personally.  Obviously I don't know your professional circumstances, but for me often being percevied as an Autodesk representative even though I don't directly work for them, these things tend to make my life extremely difficult.  Anyway, I'm probably making this into more of a big deal than it really is... after all it is just a random forum post on one of million threads out there so it isn't worth the hoo-har I've apparently kicked up.  So I'll drop it.

The materials & appearance library in R2013 was enforced on the product dev team very late in the development cycle.  The corporate initiative was to harmonise the workflows and crucially the interface between all Autodesk products which have a materials & appearance interest.  So eg. Max, Inventor, Showcase etc they would all share a common interface making it easier for designs to flow between products, that was the plan anyway.  This was dropped on the team very late with little time to make it work 100% before launch, so they did quite well considering, but like you experienced it was a nightmare for the end user.  

Clearly I'm not over it yet, I'll take a referall for that therapist 😉

Message 13 of 14
Neil_Cross

Not sure why it's changed my user name there, logged into the subs centre with the wrong account I think.

Message 14 of 14
SBix26

Clearly I'm not over it yet, I'll take a referall for that therapist 😉

Smiley LOL

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report