Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Section 3d drawing into multiple 3d prints

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
seanreit
348 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor Section 3d drawing into multiple 3d prints

I'm trying to 3d print an ABS mold of an 80" long by 6 inch high object.  I can't figure out how to section my model into the multiple 6" sections, though I know I'll need 14 roughly the same size sections.  Any help or point in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blair
in reply to: seanreit

I assume that you modeled it as a single IPT and didn't use any multi-body modeling techniques. I would Derive from the base model and cut to get each section to get the 14 pieces that you will need. You might be able to get away with possibly using some center pieces a number of times if they are the same

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: seanreit

In addition to blairs suggestion of split derived components - when I have large parts to 3d print I also add locating pins and holes to help when glueing them together.  Just keep in mind that the printer isn't perfect - allow for tolerance on the holes/pins.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 5
seanreit
in reply to: JDMather

JDMather, I'm sure you're asked this all the time, but can I hire you by the hour to teach me about 20 concepts I can think of related to your post? I'm seanreit at gmail

Sean
Message 5 of 5
blair
in reply to: JDMather

As JD posted, I would if possible go with "Through-Holes" and use some treaded Tie-Rods to align and hold it together. Possible for-planning might allow you to make an adjustable modular mold for different lengths or the addition of different options.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report