Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor RomanS font issue

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
lamey51
2863 Views, 14 Replies

Inventor RomanS font issue

I have done some searching, and with no success.

At my office we use RomanS font on all ACAD drawings. We control the thickness of the font by giving it a color, and that color gives it a thickness based upon our pen styles.

In Inventor I can find no such way to do this. The only option is to make it Bold. The Bold version is still not thick enough for our drawing standards. I dont want to use a different font. I want to keep it the same for aesthetic and continuity with all drawing reasons.

I also found out that by using the RomanS_IV25 font, that it shows up Bolder than just RomanS. However I want the text to be thicker than what RomanS_IV25 makes it.

There is also the secondary issue of when I use the Export  to PDF feature while in an .idw, Inventor seems to disregard that any font is BOLD, and it makes it all regular thickness. I found that if I print and select a PDF writer as the printer, I dont have this issue, but this added step is an inconvenience.

I appreciate any help with this issue.

Thanks,

Justin

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Cadmanto
in reply to: lamey51

Justin,

Welcome to the forum.

Have you looked into the Style and Standard Editor Library under the manage tab?

If you look there and then create your own fonts, all the standard MS fonts are there.

roman.PNG

Try looking there and see if you can tweak the font to be what you need it to be.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 15
lamey51
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thanks for the reply,

Your solution does not solve the problem. I currently already use different text styles in my drawing. In each I have RomanS_IV25 as my font. The only available options to edit in the styles and standards manager are to make it bold, italicize, or underline. Making it Bold still does not make it thick enough for the drawings.

Message 4 of 15
Cadmanto

Sorry it doesn't help you, but what you see in the styles editor is all you get when it comes to settings.

What you are describing almost sounds like years ago when I was using Autocad exclusively and printing

drawings out with a pen plotter.  Then we had to set the specific pens to a certain thickness, but that was in the

script written the plot file.

I am just rhowing this out there, but maybe there is an iLogic routine that could be written to do what you are trying to accomplish.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 15
swhite

I am not sure if layers may be the answer, or even if notes can be displayed on a specific layer. I am searching, but have not found a way to change the default layer of notes yet, just their color attribute.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 6 of 15
lamey51

I appreciate your assistance.

I guess what your saying is similar to what I do in AutoCAD. I described that to preface that there are ways to easily change the thickness of a font when printed in AutoCAD. I cannot do that in Inventor and it is very frustrating. I have also tried putting my text on a certain layer, and then making the lineweight of that layer to be thicker, but alas that did not work for me either.

There are millions of things Inventor can do, how is it that I always seem to find the things that it cannot do?

Thanks,

Justin

Message 7 of 15
Cadmanto

Understand that Inventor is a 3D modeling software and like other software does not get it's foundation on it's drawing capabilities.  Autocad while it is also made by Autodesk like Inventor, is vastly different.

We as users, what ever software it is always find things the software can't do.  If you feel this is a much need Inventor enhancement, you can always post an idea in the Inventor IdeaStation.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 15
cmcconnell

RomanS has always had display issues. IIRC, it is because it is an.shx font. Invetor likes .ttf fonts.

Somebody correct e if I m wrong...
Mechanix Design Solutions inc.
Message 9 of 15
swhite

I can suggest a fix, but you won't like the answer 🙂

Download one of the free font editors and copying it first make RomansS as a new font and make it a thicker font. Time consuming, yes.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 10 of 15
Cadmanto
in reply to: cmcconnell

That is why we don't use RomanS, but rather use Tahoma or Arial. 

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 11 of 15
cmcconnell

I gave up a long time ago - R5 or R6. I used to have a script that would change the font to RomanS (among other things) when I saved my IV drawings to dwg. This was when I had to live with exporting every drawing to DWG. I am glad thats done. 🙂
Message 12 of 15
Cadmanto
in reply to: cmcconnell

Is your script in the form of an iLogic routine?  Maybe you can post that script here and that would help the OP

with his issue.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 13 of 15
cmcconnell

No - this was long before iLogic. It was an AutoCAD script file taht would post process the IV export to make it look identical to our AutoCAD dwgs...

Message 14 of 15
kmiller

I would also suggest switching to tahoma or another one.  We also use roman S in all of our AutoCAD files, but switched our inventor over to Tahoma when we started using it.  We have since then moved some of our autocad fonts over to tahoma as well with the fact that we need to put registered and trademark symbols on some of our text and roman S isn't too happy with those.  Something else to keep in mind.  The only thing I can see is that you would have to create your text and then switch it to a new layer to maybe get some thicker print.  One your text is selected you would have the option under the annotate tab (mine is on the far right) to switch the layer in the format panel.

Hopefully that will help you.  I did not read the entire post too clear to see if someone suggested that already.

(layers you should setup in the styles editor) 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this response answers your question please click "Accept as Solution".
Message 15 of 15
kmiller
in reply to: kmiller

Or maybe not... I would have thought it would have worked... I tested it some more on our end and it doesn't.

(as far as switching the layer of the text)  - i am sure you had tried that anyway.

Sorry...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this response answers your question please click "Accept as Solution".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report