Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor reuse a cut out part

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
546 Views, 2 Replies

Inventor reuse a cut out part

Hello,

I am bulding a glass cylinder and would like to add a door on the top edge. Is there a way to cut a section of the part out and then use that cut piece as the door?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! It looks like you use Extrusion Cut to create the cutout. In Extrude command, there is no option allowing you to generate two separate bodies in one operation. There are several ways to do this. The quickest one would be creating an extrusion as a separate body. Then use Combine command -> pick the newly created solid as the Base and pick the old solid as Toolbody -> Intersect -> check "Keep toolbody" option -> OK. Then the old solid will be invisible. Just turn the visibility back on.

Or, you can extrude the profile as a surface. Then add a boundary patch surface and stitch them together. Next, use Split command to separate the solid.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 3
Cadmanto
in reply to: Anonymous

When you cut out that doorway, what if you were to instead of removing the entire opening, simply do a thin wall cut around the door representing the gap.  Then you would have two seperate bodies in your model.  It wouldn't show up in the browser as 2 bodies, but not sure this would work for what you are trying to do.  If you are looking to create an  assembly out of this, you could then insert this part into an assembly, insert a blank part into the assembly and create a top down by using the existing edges of the outer shell (editing it within the assembly) to create your door by revolving the profile.

I know this probably sounds confusing, but if you insert your part in this thread, I will look at it and show you what I am talking about.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report