Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor "shifting" location of template border & title block

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jlane
2364 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor "shifting" location of template border & title block

We want to use our AutoCAD company standard templates within Inventor.

I’ve followed the procedures in the help files to accomplish this under the heading:

Create a .dwg template in Autodesk Inventor from an AutoCAD .dwg template

This works without any problems.  Inventor is able to recognize the size of our template border (20.75” x 33”) and correctly selects a sheet format of 24” x 36”.  The template border is centered on the 24” x 36” sheet just as we would like it (see attached).

The template is used to create a new Inventor .dwg, and base views are placed and annotated.  No problems, everything looks good.  The new drawing is saved and Vaulted.  However, at some point Inventor "shifts" the location of the template on the 24” x 36” sheet format (see attached).  This action is unpredictable.  The drawing might be checked-out and checked-in several times before the “shift” happens.  When it does we have to re-locate the views and other text annotation to suit the new title block & border location.

How can we lock the position of the template border & title block?  (Should be noted that we need to keep our template positioned such that the bottom left corner is at 0,0,0 when it is opened in AutoCAD.)

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
SBix26
in reply to: jlane

Edit your border definition in your template file, and dimension or otherwise constrain it to the corners of the sheet.  If you've already done this, then there is a problem that Autodesk needs to look at.  Post a drawing file here that has shifted and see if anyone can diagnose the problem.

(I see from your images that you're using Inventor 2011, but it's always best to say so in your post.)

Message 3 of 5
jlane
in reply to: SBix26

Thanks for your reply Sam.

Sounds like I need to create a border definition from within Inventor.  Or is there a way I can constrain our template border (AutoCAD block) to the sheet corners?  I didn’t think there was a way to edit a block definition from within the Inventor drawing environment.

I tried posting a shifted file but even after removing the views & annotation it's size is too large to upload here.

Message 4 of 5
SBix26

Yes, I think that you need a border definition.  I wonder if your border definition could include your AutoCAD block?   I don't use AutoCAD, so I can't easily check that.  However, if your border and title block are pretty standard and not likely to change frequently, I'd suggest creating them from scratch.  It's a bit of work, but only one time.

Message 5 of 5
blair

Yes, you will need to create a new border from scratch, you will need to delete the existing border first. The link will take you to the Autodesk-Wiki help

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/1310-Autodesk1310/1814-Drawings1814/1815-Drawing...

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report