Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Questions

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
msujcrew1
291 Views, 5 Replies

Inventor Questions

I'm currently using MDT6 and my company is somewhat interested in upgrading to Inventor, but i have some questions. I also have SolidWorks 2003 but i don't really use it, mainly because i don't like it. SolidWorks' main disadvantage to me is that you have a part file, and then you have a drawing file that references to that part file, and i'm always losing the drawing because the file name is different than the part file. i was wondering if Inventor is like this, or do you have a 3d model part/assembly and the drawing in the same file. this i think is just one of the many advantage of mdt6 over solidworks.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: msujcrew1

AFAIK MDT is the only parametric modeler that keeps the model & drawing in the same file. The limitation to this approach is with file size and assembly speed because you're dragging the extra load of the 2D along with your 3D. IV, SWX, and most other softwares use the segmented database approach.

MechMan
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

You can use Inventor's Design Assistant to track down a model's IDW file.

MechMan
Message 4 of 6
msujcrew1

okay thanx for the info.
Message 5 of 6
jmartzig

mechman.........who let you out of the cave? where in the heck you been dude? -Joe
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

As you said..."the cave". Got burried in a "cave in" of work that took me a while to dig out of (client said "remember that job I had you stop working on? I need it finished NOW"). I'm not out of the darkness yet but I've found a nice spot where I could sit down take a breather. B-)

MechMan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report