Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Pro 2012 crashes

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
wvoet
392 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor Pro 2012 crashes

I just upgraded to Inventor Pro 2012 and I am having a problem with it crashing when in .IDW files.  If I try to turn on the hidden lines in a drawing view it will crash.  It does this when I turn them on while inserting the base view or if I try to turn them on after it has been created.  Does anyone have a quick solution for this?  I have about five drawings that I need to get finished so I can release them to my production department but I cannot finish them because of this crashing.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
wvoet
in reply to: wvoet

I think I have this solved.  I turned off the background upate as discussed in the link below and that seems ot have fixed the problem.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Inventor-2012-Crash-Problems/m-p/3004560/highlight/t...

Message 3 of 7
Shiva_Sundaram

Hi,

You don't have to turn them off - we have released a hotfix for those crashes and you perhaps try it out.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17235749&linkID=9242019

Enable Background updates will help you update your drawings faster, especially if you have many number of views and it will calculate hidden lines in the background and will not tie up the application, so that you can still continue to work on Inventor.

Thanks

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 7
wvoet
in reply to: Shiva_Sundaram

Thank you for the reply but I have already tried that hotfix and it was still crashing when i turned the hidden lines on in a drawing view.

Message 5 of 7
Shiva_Sundaram

Would it be possible for you to send me your dataset. This would help us identify where the problem is. Also, have you submitted any crash error reports? I can try to query our database - would need your email address you used to log the error report.

Many times, it could be the model which is the actual cause of the problem. One thing you could try it to suppress some features in there just as a quick test to see if that helps avoid the drawing update crash. If that solves the problem, most likely some bad geometry might be causing the problem. e.g. translated parts are one main reason.

You can reach me at: sundarsATautodeskDOTcom

Thanks

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 7
wvoet
in reply to: Shiva_Sundaram

What do you need for the dataset?  Yes uI have submitted multiple error reports.  My e-mail is wvoetATpositrolDOTcom

I have this problem on multiple drawings.  Some are very simple parts, so I doubt it is bad geometry but I will give that a try.

Message 7 of 7
Shiva_Sundaram

If you can send me the IAM, IPT and crashing IDW that would help. Any extra info about hardware - OS, RAM, swap space, steps to recreate, would help.

If you are creating new views which crash, please let me know the steps.

You can reach me at: sundarsATautodeskDOTcom

I will look up our database for your crashes and get back to you later this morning.

Thanks

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report