Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor preparing data for marking on plasma

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
351 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor preparing data for marking on plasma

Hi everybody,

I have a question: I need to prepare data for a plasma cutting machine. For the actual cutting process it is no problem. But we also need to mark with the plasma machine. For this I need to have the lines were the parts need to be marked as lines on a separate layer.

In Autocad I would know how to do this. I would just add a separate layer and draw some lines. But in Inventor? I can´t just draw some 2D lines on the parts, or? And then how would I get them onto a separate layer?

Could you help me? I´d be really thankful.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

You can just create 2D lines (just a sketch with no 3d features applied).. That sketch can be shown in an idw file..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 8
salariua

Include the sketch in drawing as mcgyver mentioned, then you can select the geometry and send it to a custom layer that you can create.

508.jpg

509.jpg

510.jpg

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: salariua

Hi, thanks for the answers. But if I understand it correct the information about the layer would only be in the idw file. Not saved within the ipt file. Is that correct?

That won´t help me, because I export the ipt files to the software which creates the cutting program. I don´t extra export the file into any other format...

So there is no way of defining layers within an ipt file?

Message 5 of 8
salariua

For simple rectangular shape parts it takes me 20 secons to do a drawing, I don't see that as a problem.

So to speed it up in your case you can open a drawing place base view flat pattern, export dxf, delete view place another, and so on... les than 10 seconds.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 6 of 8
blair

I understand your problem, using software such as Radan which reads the IPT file, you will need to add this during your processing within Radan or your CNC processing software.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 8
blair

You don't even need to place the IPT in a IDW. Just RMB on the surface and select "Export Face to DXF". For Sheet-Metal parts, select the "Flat-Pattern in the browser window, RMB and select the Export to DXF.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 8
salariua
in reply to: blair

I know you can export from the flat pattern menu but he's taking about having custom text on custom layer.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report