Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inventor pattern of an occurence

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Joe_Banger
1808 Views, 7 Replies

inventor pattern of an occurence

Hi, I have a rectangular pattern, which gives me the original and several occurences of the object. i want to make a 'sub pattern' with one of the occurences (i.e. use one of the occurences as the master for a new pattern). I cannot do this as when i click on rectangular pattern, it will only let me select the entire first pattern, not just the single occurence. any help would be creamily appreciated.
Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Namoi1
in reply to: Joe_Banger

right click on the element and select independent (the parts will move out of the pattern, above it in the browser), then you can use it, but the they won't be constrained.

using IV2015
C-H
Message 3 of 8
pcrawley
in reply to: Namoi1

Ditto the previous response.  But - are you talking sketch-patterns, or component patterns?

With component patterns, just remember that when you mark an element as "Independant" it becomes an unconstrained instance of the part.

"creamily appreciated" - should we be worried?!

Peter
Message 4 of 8
Joe_Banger
in reply to: Namoi1

Hi, I'm having trouble finidng the 'independent' button. Mind you i'm working in a part, not an assembly! I wish to do the above within a part.
Message 5 of 8
Joe_Banger
in reply to: pcrawley

Worried? Sorry english is not my first language I wish to say that I a response would be appreciated like one appreciates cream.
Message 6 of 8
pcrawley

Your ability to write in your second language is significantly better than my ability to write in my first language!

"Make independent" really only applies in the assembly environment.  

In a part, you have access to two pattern types; Sketch pattern and Feature pattern.  

• In a sketch pattern you can use "suppress element" which prevents the patterned sketch object(s) from being used to create a feature (just like construction geometry).  
  • A feature patterns allows you to suppress selected "Occurrence(s)"

When you think about this, the ability to make either of the above "independent" does not really make much sense because an independent occurrence is just another sketch object, of part feature.

If the sketch you are patterning is complicated, then turn the shape(s) into a block before you pattern it.  Now you can place further independent instances of that block in other areas of your part knowing that editing the block will update everything.

In the case of a feature pattern where your pattern contains more than one feature, you can always use the little-known function of copy & paste.  With things like sketched features you can copy & paste them onto other faces of your model.  When you do the Paste function, there's an option for making the resulting feature dependant on (or independent of) the one you copied.  (Remember that copy & paste does not work on placed features - only sketch-based features.)

Hope this helps.

Peter
Message 7 of 8
cwhetten

Depending on what you are trying to pattern, there my be a wacky workaround using multi-solid techniques.

If you are patterning a feature that adds new material (i.e. a Join type feature), you could edit the feature so that instead of Join, it creates a new solid:

New Solid.PNG

Then, when you create the pattern, pattern the solid instead of the feature.  Set the pattern to create new solids, rather than joining them to the base solid:

Pattern New Solids.PNG

Finally, create the second pattern (again, a pattern of solids rather than features) and choose the intermediate element as your base.  It's odd, but it works:

Wacky Pattern.png

Again, this only works if you are patterning a feature (not a sketch element), and if your feature adds new material (rather than cutting or intersecting material).  Actually, now that I think about it, you could do it for a cutting or intersecting feature too, it would just be more steps to get the end result.

Will this work for you?

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.

Message 8 of 8
Namoi1
in reply to: cwhetten

Cameron

You've got me very interested, how would you make it work for a cutting feature?

Joe, sorry my bad need to read more accurately

using IV2015
C-H

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report