Inventor General Discussion

Mentor
whunter
Message 1 of 19 (2,795 Views)

Inventor on Mac via Parallels Desktop

2795 Views, 18 Replies
10-21-2009 01:36 AM
Hi all;

Anyone on this forum using Inventor in this way? I'd like to get some comments on the speed of Inventor using it in a virtual environment. Also, is it 'easy/pain free' to switch between the virtual environment (Windows) and the Mac desktop (to access mail or whatever)? I've used VirtualBox before on a Linux box before so I'm familiar with a virtual environment, but I don't know Parallels. The latter is officially supported by ADSK (http://usa.autodesk.com/products/mac-compatible-products)

Also, is their direct communication between Inventor and the hardware (specifically the graphics card), or does it go through a software layer?

Thanks,
wh
Settinglake
Message 2 of 19 (2,782 Views)

Re: Inventor on Mac via Parallels Desktop

09-21-2010 05:46 AM in reply to: whunter

I am running Paralles 5 and windows 7.  The problems I have had have been with the resource hunger of windows 7 and have had to turn Aero off to make it work well. It does otherwise work very well within Parallels.  Switching from the Mac to the virtual machine is easy and quick - no more than launching an extra application.

My machine is a MacBook Pro (Laptop) with 8 gig of ram and an Intel i7 chip.  I shut the mac applications down as I have max resources set to the virtual machine.  This is fine because I have Outlook on the VM as well as Internet explorer.  When Autocad is running on my Mac my Mac is a windows machine.

I would really like Autodesk to offer Inventor Suite as a Mac Native product.  

Doug

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 3 of 19 (2,769 Views)

09-21-2010 06:14 AM in reply to: whunter

whunter wrote:
 the speed of Inventor ... and the Mac

I don't know anything about Macs, but I saw Kevin Schneider running on a Mac at AU 2009.  He said it was the fasted notebook he could find for running Inventor. http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=5457

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Distinguished Contributor
cmcconnell
Message 4 of 19 (2,736 Views)

09-21-2010 01:30 PM in reply to: JDMather

We have 2 Mac Book Pros running Inventor here, but we are running windows 7 under Bootcamp. From what I have heard, parallels limits video capability.

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.
huntoon
Message 5 of 19 (2,308 Views)

06-29-2011 08:29 PM in reply to: cmcconnell

Hi, I was wondering if you would care to update us on your situation of using Inventor on a Mac. Specifically, have you run into limits in the size of assemblies or complexity of objects?

Thanks,

JON

cmcconnell
Message 6 of 19 (2,305 Views)

06-29-2011 08:35 PM in reply to: whunter
We have not had a single hardware related issue. If i could change 1 thing it qould be to up the RAM TO 16 Gbs (instead of 8) a i have some assemblies that take ~8 Gbs just to open. In fact we have been so happy with them, we now have 7 MacBook Pros and 1 Mac Pro.
huntoon
Message 7 of 19 (2,300 Views)

06-29-2011 10:14 PM in reply to: cmcconnell

Thanks for the update! I have been wanting to buy a mac and now I am feeling better about the idea. Is the speed comparable to laptops running nvidia QUADROm cards? 

Do you happen to use a 3D connexion Space Navigator? I'm wondering if that 3D mouse will work well too.

Thanks,

JON

huntoon
Message 8 of 19 (2,299 Views)

06-29-2011 10:17 PM in reply to: cmcconnell

Perhaps a better follow-up question would be: How many parts are in the assemblies that require 8gbs of memory.

Thanks!!!

JON

huntoon
Message 9 of 19 (2,296 Views)

06-29-2011 10:37 PM in reply to: JDMather

Would you happen to know where Kevin Schneider was getting those benchmarks to claim that macs were the fastest for running Inventor Fusion? I am really looking to get a mac, I just need some more info..

Thanks,

JON

cmcconnell
Message 10 of 19 (2,291 Views)

06-30-2011 03:55 AM in reply to: whunter
The video seems comparable and we are running 3d connexiOn controllers.

The assembly in question is a 35000 component master driven assembly.

Not sure what Kevin was referring to...
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.