Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor on 2 different computers on the same serial no?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Mustang69
764 Views, 13 Replies

Inventor on 2 different computers on the same serial no?

Hello

I work on a workstation where I produce all designs and drawings.

Then we have a machine shop where we have a computer with JETCAM nesting program for punching machines.

JETCAM can only read DXF files so the operator needs Inventor on that computer only for opening an IDW file and "Save Copy as" dxf.

Thats it!

But what happens if have Inventor on 2 computers in the network with same serial number?

Or do anyone have another tip of other free or cheap  program that can open IDW files and save it to an dxf?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: Mustang69

That a violation of the license.

You are ONLY allowed to do that IF for example you have one computer at home and one at work and you will never be on both at the same time.

Why can't you simply save as dxf when you produce the idw file? Seems like a simple solution to me.. 

An ilogic rule could be created to to automatically save as dxf when you save as idw. 

I think this should get you started..

http://autodeskmfg.typepad.com/blog/2012/01/using-inventor-ilogic-to-save-multipl-formats.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 14
Mustang69
in reply to: mcgyvr

Tnx!!  To save as dxf is no problem for me but there is 3 BIG reasons why it will not work

1. I must have the brain that remember to do it every single time I use a drawing
  2. We got mayby 30.000 IDW files so it is not possible to go through everything
  3. Production decides what part should be produced and will look up the file by part number
    When they searching for a part number they will if we did it your way find 2 files! Hence they must check both files to check for diferences.
    Belive me they will pick the wrong drawing and punch up 5tons of sheet metal with wrong holes!  Especially if I didn't suceeded in number 1. ! 🙂

So in production NEVER EVER have 2 files with same part number! Murphys will happen.

But if I install Inventor on the other computer don't they get a error message if my Inventor is running?

By the way I live in the office! 🙂

Message 4 of 14
Cadmanto

Take a look at this thread.  Has a response direct from Autodesk that may help you.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-publisher/installing-one-licence-on-multiple-computers/td-p/3...

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 14
mcgyvr

@Mustang69 wrote:

Tnx!!  To save as dxf is no problem for me but there is 3 BIG reasons why it will not work

1. I must have the brain that remember to do it every single time I use a drawing
  2. We got mayby 30.000 IDW files so it is not possible to go through everything
  3. Production decides what part should be produced and will look up the file by part number
    When they searching for a part number they will if we did it your way find 2 files! Hence they must check both files to check for diferences.
    Belive me they will pick the wrong drawing and punch up 5tons of sheet metal with wrong holes!  Especially if I didn't suceeded in number 1. ! 🙂

So in production NEVER EVER have 2 files with same part number! Murphys will happen.

But if I install Inventor on the other computer don't they get a error message if my Inventor is running?

By the way I live in the office! 🙂

Those are 3 excuses not valid reasons IMO and problems that might stem from a lack of training.. 🙂

You have a few choices now..

#1-Buy another license. (because you are violating the terms now)

#2-Implement a procedure that production only uses/opens dxf files. If there isn't a dxf file they must request that engineering produce one. And start a process for you that automatically creates the dxf files (via ilogic or whatever).. 

Production does NOT have to go through each one to find the differences. Its your responsibility to ensure that there aren't differences. And their won't be if you automatically create the dxf when the idw is saved/modified.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 6 of 14
Mustang69
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thankyou Cadmanto!

Not sure if it works I have to check!

I just got an quick fix idea that maybe Team Viewer can be helpfull here.

When the workshop need a IDW file they connect to my computer with TeamViewer throught the network. 🙂

To bad Autodesk forgot that 100% of most sheetmetal punching machines use DXF or DWG for nesting.....Can't Autodesk buy JETCAM and integrate Inventor functions!! 😉

Message 7 of 14
mcgyvr

@Mustang69 wrote:

Thankyou Cadmanto!

Not sure if it works I have to check!

I just got an quick fix idea that maybe Team Viewer can be helpfull here.

When the workshop need a IDW file they connect to my computer with TeamViewer throught the network. 🙂

To bad Autodesk forgot that 100% of most sheetmetal punching machines use DXF or DWG for nesting.....Can't Autodesk buy JETCAM and integrate Inventor functions!! 😉

Then you lose the ability to work while they are working on your machine via teamviewer..

It would be easier to just have them send you an email when they need a dxf file and you simply open/save the idw.

Message 8 of 14
Mustang69

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those are 3 excuses not valid reasons IMO and problems that might stem from a lack of training.. :smileyhappy:

I bet that I got twice the training  anyone here! Got Diploma from 14years old with AutoCad 1.0 and all the way through Mechanical Desktop 1.0, Inventor 1.0 to present! Anyone beat that?  🙂

#1-Buy another license. (because you are violating the terms now) Sorry will not buy another licence from Autodesk

#2-Implement a procedure that production only uses/opens dxf files. If there isn't a dxf file they must request that engineering produce one. And start a process for you that automatically creates the dxf files (via ilogic or whatever).. 

Production does NOT have to go through each one to find the differences. Its your responsibility to ensure that there aren't differences. And their won't be if you automatically create the dxf when the idw is saved/modified.

When you wrote "automatic create" it will work!

I googled it and found an app that maybe will work   youtube.com/watch?v=zBgx6rGBnlA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM
Message 9 of 14
dgorsman

There really does need to be some control through a request process or otherwise.  Once a part is manufactured you can't exactly "take it back" (well, maybe in an art studio...).  Any and all design changes should be finished, checked, QA/QC'd, and approved before it gets anywhere near the shop.  Somebody in the shop may not be fully in the loop and start pulling parts without realizing changes are in progress; now you've got a stack of parts which were never intended to be manufactured.  The creation of the DXF (iLogic or otherwise) can easily be rolled into the end of the overall approval process, so that ONLY parts which have gone through the process are available.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 10 of 14
mcgyvr

@Mustang69 wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those are 3 excuses not valid reasons IMO and problems that might stem from a lack of training.. :smileyhappy:

I bet that I got twice the training  anyone here! Got Diploma from 14years old with AutoCad 1.0 and all the way through Mechanical Desktop 1.0, Inventor 1.0 to present! Anyone beat that?  🙂

#1-Buy another license. (because you are violating the terms now) Sorry will not buy another licence from Autodesk

When you wrote "automatic create" it will work!

I googled it and found an app that maybe will work   youtube.com/watch?v=zBgx6rGBnlA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

My lack of training comment was not necessarily directed at you.. Just those on the floor opening these drawings.. (and I did include "might")

And there are many ways to create a dxf file.. That app is one of them I guess.. But.. you can also simply right click on the flat pattern node in the model browser and select save copy as.. (which I'm sure you already knew as you have so much training 🙂

But again...Your original post states the shop was simply opening the idw and saving as dxf.. 

My first post shows mostly how to do that in a 100% automatic fashion (you don't need to do ANYTHING AT ALL except get that code working which is simple).. The part missing from that tutorial is simply assigning that rule to trigger on a save event. And there are many other tutorials out there too..

Frankly I'm not sure what the app does that any other solution couldn't.. But thats for you to determine. 

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss purchasing another license too.. How much time is it going to cost you vs a cheapish copy of Inventor? (LT even)

Message 11 of 14
Mustang69
in reply to: dgorsman

Yes you are right DGORSMAN and if everybody is doing it jobs and follows procedures it works.
But when dealing with 2 ways of dealing with drawings Murphys law will eventually happen.
It is very easy to write down procedures and instruct people what they should do.
Then the real world shows it face.

As you americans say K.I,S.S 🙂

Message 12 of 14
mcgyvr

@Mustang69 wrote:
Yes you are right and if everybody is doing it jobs and follows procedures it works.
But when dealing with 2 ways of dealing with drawings Murphys law will eventually happen.
It is very easy to write down procedures and instruct people what they should do.
Then the real world shows it face.

As you americans say K.I,S.S 🙂

Actually we say.. "This is the company procedure.. if you can't seem to follow it there are plenty of others who will.. Thanks but this isn't working out for you here"

But just because the "real world shows its face" doesn't mean that you shouldn't have proper procedures in place either.. A large majority of quality problems are related to a lack or break down in procedures.. not employee mistakes or actions. 

Message 13 of 14
Mustang69

I just came up with the solution by using automatic function with some help in i-Logic.

It works perfect for anyone having the same problem as I

In i-Logic I wrote rule below to Save As an DXF and made it as an "External Rule" and placed the rule in my templates

ThisDoc.Document.SaveAs(ThisDoc.ChangeExtension(".dxf"),True) 

ScreenShot003.jpg

The rule then set to be triggered when I saved it.

ScreenShot004.jpg

Then open my template and resaved it by making sure this rule was there.

Works great so now there is no chance there will be different dates.

Well the operator must anyway check the file date so it is not older than todays date. 😕

Message 14 of 14
mcgyvr

Glad my suggestion worked for you..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report