Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Not Using Virtual Memory

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
JohnnyKash
1010 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor Not Using Virtual Memory

I'm trying to render an image of a very complex assembly and it maxes out the computer's RAM (4 gigs) and causes the program to crash. I've changed Windows' settings to up the virtual memory, but the program doesn't seem to be using it--it can't possibly be taking 200 gigs worth on the hard drive, and I don't hear the HD running when it maxes out the memory.

The weird thing is that the assembly only takes up a third of the color memory-use bar before I open Inventor Studio, but it takes it into the red once Studio opens. 

Upping my real RAM isn't an option at the moment. What can I do? 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Pauli666
in reply to: JohnnyKash

Just a thought but have you heard of Readyboost?

all you need is a 4 Gb Memory stick (USB).

Might be worth a try.

Message 3 of 7

What OS are you running ? I think the memory bar is only present when Inventor has been installed on a 32 bit operating system.

Studio can use LOTS of memory during a render and you are running on a 32 bit operating system. When the bar goes red you are crashing because you are running out of memory address space. 32 bit versions of windows can only address 2 GB of RAM per application (or 3GB if you use the 3GB switch). This is a limit of 32 bit windows rather than Inventor. A large page file would allow more programs to be loaded into memory (though performance would be awful) but each program could still only use 2 or 3 GB before they crash.

All the above problems are cured by installing a 64 bit OS (such as Win7) as the address space moves from a 2 GB limit upto 8 Terabites.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 4 of 7

My system runs on Windows 64 bit.

Could it be that the program "thinks" it's running in 32 bit Windows? Is there a setting that I can toggle to fix that, if this is the case?

Message 5 of 7

What version of Inventor ? And what verion OS (XP or Win7)

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 6 of 7
sam_m
in reply to: JohnnyKash

the colour memory bar only appears on 32 bit versions of the software - thus the assumption you're on 32 bit windows...

Check the about window (click the down arrow next to the help question-mark and then choose "about autodesk inventor") - what does it list as your version?  Mine says "Autodesk Inventor Professional 2012 64-Bit Edition"

Guess you might have (somehow) installed the 32 bit version of the software, if so remove and install the 64bit version (there are separate 32 & 64bit versions of Inventor).  If it says 64 bit version then something is wrong, so a re-install might be the best option anyway...  

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 7 of 7
JohnnyKash
in reply to: sam_m

That's the problem, wrong version. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report