Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor not recognising Active Project files

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
HeadyChopper
1530 Views, 5 Replies

Inventor not recognising Active Project files

Hi all I have an up-to-date verison of Inventor 2013 (Sp1.1 w/ update 2), and have just recently noticed an issue with project files. Due to the small scale of our operations, I use a Semi-Isolated Project file on server with a local workspace, rather than Vault. In the last week or so I have noticed that when I open files directly from Win Explorer, they do not register as "Active Project" files, ie I cannot perform Check in/Check out operations. All the files lower in the tree (in the same folder) are recognised as being in the active project. This follows on - when I try to save other files into that folder, I get error messages ("The selected location is not in the active project.") Opening these files manually presents no problems. Has anyone else encountered this issue? I realise opening files from Win Explorer is not "preferred work flow" etc. but this is the most efficient and effective way for me to do the work I do. Cheers Tom
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
miechh
in reply to: HeadyChopper

Why don't you use Vault? Even if your company is of a small scale, Vault can be a real benefit. No more hassle with project files, you can revert back to previous versions of your work, copy designs, etc. Doing these steps with Windows Exploder (Smiley Wink) can cause headaches. Vault server can also be installed and used on your desktop, when you don't have an expensive server present.

Product Design Suite 2024
Inventor 2024 (v 28.20.27200.0000), Vault Basic 2024
Fusion 360
HP Workstation Z4
Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Message 3 of 6
HeadyChopper
in reply to: miechh

When I upgraded to Inventor 2013 I initially attempted to setup Vault Basic that came bundled with the software. However, having never used it before I have not been able to get it up and running, and have been unable to find any documentation on the building of a Vault database. I would much prefer to use Vault than Design Assistant & Project files - where do I find this Vault documentation?
Message 4 of 6
miechh

Hi HeadyChopper, I must admit, that's also the problem I had in the past. A correct installation of Vault so that everything works the way you want it to work is quite a challenge if you don't have the knowledge and the resources (and the money). Autodesk and the resellers just want you to use it (and for this I have to admit again that I don't ever want to work without Vault again) but if you don't have the knowledge to install it, it's almost compulsory that you hire someone from Autodesk to do the job for you (at ching-ching $ per hour). After that there's the next hurdle; you have to get yourself acquainted with the software and its possibilities, by following a course (ching-ching $ again). If you're running your business by yourself, I can imagine you don't (always) have budget for all of this. Maybe you should ask around in your environment for someone who has experience with the installation and use of Vault, think there are enough people around who would like to help you out. Good luck!

Product Design Suite 2024
Inventor 2024 (v 28.20.27200.0000), Vault Basic 2024
Fusion 360
HP Workstation Z4
Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Message 5 of 6
HeadyChopper
in reply to: miechh

Hi Miechh. I had a feeling that was the situation... Nothing ever comes for free (or even cheap in this industry). I will see how I go, there are a few folks around here who know there way around Autodesk products - I might get lucky. Anyway, thanks for the tips, I will see how I go. Cheers.
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Hi HeadyChopper,

When setting up vault I found its best not to install the add-on (Vault Basic) that comes with inventor 2013.

When you got vault did it come with two installation discs one for the server and one for client. If yes and its installed on the server install the client on your workstation.

When its installed on the workstation you should be able to setup up a vault project file with your required file structure and enforce that project file so others can't be used.

Hope This Helps

Cheers

Chris Rodway

Design Engineer

Sheffield, UK

Tags (2)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report