Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor not closing all files - bug?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
hjvcan
376 Views, 5 Replies

Inventor not closing all files - bug?

As per the subject, this is the second time in 24hrs it has happened.

In the bottom right corner there is still a 1 (and a zero to the left of it in the other box)

As there is still a file open I have to close and re-open inventor before I can change projects.

How can I track what file is not being closed?

What is causing this problem?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
SBix26
in reply to: hjvcan

What version of Inventor?  What happens if you open a file in the current project and then close it?  I have had occasions in all recent versions of Inventor where I was not able to change projects even though there were no open files, typically when I used Undo to undo a file open step.  I cannot recall noticing the file counter, though.  But in those cases, opening and then closing a file took care of the problem.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 3 of 6
cbenner

I suspect it is more of an issue of a "memory leak".  I've seen before where all files have been closed, and for whatever reason Inventor does not let go of all of the memory it was using.  I've seen this in other CAD systems as well.  Pro E (Creo) was notorius for it and it led eventually to a lot of crashing.  I find that if I am opening and closing a lot of (especially) large assemblies... eventually the safe thing for me to do is shut down and restart Inventor.  It takes a few minutes, but is better than a CTD.  I can usually tell when it is coming, Inventor will start to act... squirrely is the best word.  For me... when in doubt, save and shut down.

I don't know if this is hardware or software related, or if I'm full of hokum... but this is what I suspect is going on.  IT seems to support my theory, here at least.

Message 4 of 6
hjvcan
in reply to: SBix26

Currently running IV2013 SP1.1 on Win7 (fully updated)

I'm fairly sure this was not undo related but I'll certainly pay more attention to that now.

I tried opening and closing a file from the current project, it still did not release the ghost file though.

edit: maybe could be memory related, I know the second time it happened I had been working with a ridiculously complicated file (~200MB .ipt, dodgy conversion from a tekla structures model)

Message 5 of 6
scottmoyse

we've seen this kind of issue before. But it's generally only after running a VB macro, so we wrote a utility to force close all the files in the background. We don't use it anymore, since we moved to 64bit add-ins and it doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. In addition its fairly quick to restart Inventor now we are using SSD's.

If you are interested I can see if I can sort some code out for you

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 6 of 6
hjvcan
in reply to: scottmoyse

Thanks for the offer but at this point I'll say it is not needed.

It's not a huge issue for me (yet)...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report