Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Memory Issues

52 REPLIES 52
Message 1 of 53
lhoang
3325 Views, 52 Replies

Inventor Memory Issues

Autodesk REALLY needs to do something with the memory issue.  I can hardly open up or switch between 2 projects before i have to close and reopen inventor.  If it happens to be a large project I'm working on, forget about it.  I have to close out inventor about once an hour.  What's up with that?  Your killing us Autodesk....

I know this has been topic of several discussions, but I needed to vent for a minute.  what sayeth you fellow inventor users?

Window XP 2002 SP3

Intel Xeon W3580 @ 3.33Ghz

4 GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800

52 REPLIES 52
Message 41 of 53
dodrain
in reply to: karthur1

@karthur1 wrote:

Thanks for your hard work, you are the only one left to help us  :`(

And we won't have him much longer .....  Hate to see you go Matt.

Kirk

Where does he go to?  NO DON'T LEAVE US ALONE

Message 42 of 53
matt.smith
in reply to: dodrain

Ha :), I'm not going too far.  I'm (currently) an Inventor developer.  I'm moving to the data management team (Vault).

- Matt

@dodrain wrote:

@karthur1 wrote:

Thanks for your hard work, you are the only one left to help us  :`(

And we won't have him much longer .....  Hate to see you go Matt.

Kirk

Where does he go to?  NO DON'T LEAVE US ALONE

Message 43 of 53
BMiller63
in reply to: matt.smith

@matt.smith wrote:
Ha :), I'm not going too far.  I'm (currently) an Inventor developer.  I'm moving to the data management team (Vault).

- Matt

ah-ha! Can you please, please put in a word for us lowly non-vaulted Inventor users, to see if we can get some scrap of development for Design Assistant? Even if the only developer we can get working on improving Design Assistant is just the red-bull addicted intern that stays up all night playing video games, and drags into the office with little or no focus, and is only there because he's related to Pete Lord's wife, that'd be better than nothing. . . I think.

Message 44 of 53
dodrain
in reply to: dodrain

Remember you can allways use the READYBOOST function of Windows Vista and 7.  The only thing you need is a USB Flashcard or stick to increase your memory and speed up your system !!!!

Message 45 of 53
scottmoyse
in reply to: JDMather

agreed its a piece of c*ap. Now i have realised the memory issues it creates, it enrages me to think its all down to marketing ploys. 

Seems the lines between productivity and marketing at autodesk are becoming increasingly blurred.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 46 of 53
scottmoyse
in reply to: JDMather

and why is it they focused on rubbish like this instead of free form surfacing tools, or improving the diabolical consistency of the user interface.

Rant over...

I love Inventor mostly.

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 47 of 53
scottmoyse
in reply to: BMiller63

so when you employ a new designer/modeller. What are you going to do about your license for that individual. will autodesk sell you a copy of 2010? when they are shipping 2012/2013?

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 48 of 53
BMiller63
in reply to: scottmoyse

@scottmoyse wrote:

so when you employ a new designer/modeller. What are you going to do about your license for that individual. will autodesk sell you a copy of 2010? when they are shipping 2012/2013?

hmmm, this question about our choice to forgo subscription seems out of place for this thread, but I assume you've recalled other posts I made in the past that stated we're sticking with 2010 for a while. Will they sell us a new seat of 2010? No way, can't be done unless you're on subscription.

Nonetheless, we've made a very calculated decision here. Our growth has just happened (oddly enough right as everyone else scaled back) and because we are largely insulated from outside influences (we don't need to swap files with 2011 or 2012 users, and can use STEP when it does come up), we feel confident that we can ride 2010 out for a few years. We bought a couple of extra network seats, one of which seldom gets hit, the other is used a couple times a week, but not much.

Seems like a waste? Not at all, that extra seat that may not get used at all next month, and the other that gets little use, is less than what it would cost to carry subscription for all of the seats for the next few years. Plus it is not in the business plan to add any new people to our engineering staff. We will replace as needed, but not add new "seats".  As added insurance for this, I commit my time to tackling the tough stuff for my people (sometimes after hours) so that they can stay on track. I often ask them to "close the file, and let me show you" and then just solve the problem for them. But I stress the importance that they interrogate the model to see how it was done. And mostly, because we hire problem solvers, they do so on their own.

This strategy is not for everyone, I understand, but it works for us, and I do my part:

I train internally (our reseller is garbage).

I study as I work (open an IDW that I know will take 5 mins? No problem, I get on here and answer a question, or better yet, research a question I can not answer).

I encourage, encourage, encourage (user didn't constrain a sketch?, I point it out, but I leave it at that, they'll get it next time when they fight twisting geometry).

I do production work all day long. I could hire a drafter/modeler to keep my engineers free, but I'd rather them hand their challenges to me. It keeps me sharp, and they all seem to invest more interest in their modeling skills as a real skill, as opposed to the "I'll just give it to the new kid" mindset.

I beta test, buy and read the new Inventor books, etc, in order to keep up on the latest and greatest tools, so I know what I'm missing.

I run the newest version of Inventor at home for my own professional development and education (how do I do that? student version).

But I suspect the original question stems from my comment about not using Vault??? To that I say, it has nothing to do with staying current on version. We can not use Vault due to a number of internal setup issues that make it a very poor fit. I do not discredit Vault as a great tool for many, but AD must realize that Inventor is Incomplete for those of that can not use Vault, and Design Assistant is buggy and just needs further development. I do not see Vault becoming a requirement for Inventor use, ever (although I've heard the reseller suggest that, and then back peddle when I asked them to state that outright) and the first version of Inventor that requires Vault, will be the last version of Inventor we consider here. Vault just breaks more than it fixes for us, plain and simple.

My comments about Design Assistant getting future development, were in hopes of that the AD will make those tools better in Inventor 2013 or 2014 (I'm guessing 2012 is half done).

wow, that was a long winded reply, bet you wish you hadn't asked, huh? Smiley Happy

Message 49 of 53
scottmoyse

I think you mentioned your subscription status on this tread somewhere.

Have you got an e-mail address i can contact you on? I have a reply but it doesnt really have anything to do with this thread.

you can send me yours here scott@smigroup.co.nz if you don't want to post it on here.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 50 of 53
BMiller63
in reply to: scottmoyse

I tried to send you an email, but it kept bouncing back, shoot me an email: bmiller63_at_hotmail_dot_com

sub the _at_ and the _dot_ as required

Message 51 of 53
zma1013

@

Why couldn't you type them?

IV2012

Windows XP SP3 32-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 @ 2.13 GHz
Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI 256MB Vram
2 GB Ram
160GB HDD
Message 52 of 53
BMiller63
in reply to: zma1013

There used to be "spam-bots" that would scan forums (and the web in general) and pick up email addresses, not sure if that still happens or not, but I generally just post email as such, just in case.

Message 53 of 53
khaleb.sealey
in reply to: lhoang

Inventor was using 3GB, yes, Gigabytes of memory before I shut it downand it was a 120MB file but it seems that 3Ds Max and Inventor running simultaneously fight with each other, bringing my total memory usage between the two to 5GB (YES Gigabytes) but I have Windows 7 64bit Ultimate, 16GB of RAM and a 6 core x 3.3GHz processor (although it may not matter for these programs I also have a Radeon HD 6950 GPU) I'd think it should be able to swing that...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report