Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Memory Issues

52 REPLIES 52
Message 1 of 53
lhoang
3322 Views, 52 Replies

Inventor Memory Issues

Autodesk REALLY needs to do something with the memory issue.  I can hardly open up or switch between 2 projects before i have to close and reopen inventor.  If it happens to be a large project I'm working on, forget about it.  I have to close out inventor about once an hour.  What's up with that?  Your killing us Autodesk....

I know this has been topic of several discussions, but I needed to vent for a minute.  what sayeth you fellow inventor users?

Window XP 2002 SP3

Intel Xeon W3580 @ 3.33Ghz

4 GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800

52 REPLIES 52
Message 21 of 53
PaulMunford
in reply to: lhoang

Turning Inventor off doesn't  clear the memory Cache. You need to shut your computer down completely to flush it out. I understand that 2011 has the option of weather you want to cache models into memory when you open them or not.

I agree that this isn't ideal, but it will have to do for me until I can find a good reason that will persuade my Boss to buy me a new machine.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 22 of 53
Anonymous
in reply to: dodrain

Never use rewind or navigation wheel.  Played with them in What's New and turned them off, haven't used them since.

Message 23 of 53
karthur1

I never use the Rewind tool.  I think it was one of those things that was added because it looks nice, but it does take up memory.

Maybe that is why they limit the F5 (zoom previous) to a few frames because it does consume memory.  Speaking of the "Zoom Previous"... I wish they would fix this so that it does not remeber each-and-every click of the mouse wheel.  In a prior version (dont 'member which now) the F5 would incremental zooms by the wheel.  That is the way Acad Mech does it now and is much easier to work with.

Message 24 of 53
dodrain
in reply to: PaulMunford

@PaulMunford wrote:

Turning Inventor off doesn't  clear the memory Cache. You need to shut your computer down completely to flush it out. I understand that 2011 has the option of weather you want to cache models into memory when you open them or not.

I agree that this isn't ideal, but it will have to do for me until I can find a good reason that will persuade my Boss to buy me a new machine.

The problem is you can swithc off the navigation bar, but you can't switch off the Rewind.  Do the test.

Zoom in, out, pan, orbit with the navigation bar switched OFF.   Switch it back on after a few minutes of zooming, panning etc.. Use the Rewind et voila you are able to scroll back to the start of the day .

Who the XXX needs this?  Please Autodeskprogrammers give us a SWICHT OFF button for this.

Message 25 of 53
matt.smith

Okay, I wasn't able to find anything to just turn off "Rewind".  But, if you're willing to use a bigger hammer, it can be turned off:

Under the registry go to:

HKCU\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersionX\System\Preferences\AliasNavTools

Create a new DWORD value and name it:

ANT Disable

Set its value to 1.

If one already exists just change its value from 0 to 1.

This will disable all of the new Nav Tools (ANT stands for "Alias Nav Tools").

Another workaround, to clear the rewind is to back up the rewind to the beginning.  It then removes previous history and starts fresh.

Hope it helps.  Thanks,

- Matt

Message 26 of 53
BMiller63
in reply to: matt.smith

Thanks Matt!

Message 27 of 53
dodrain

Create a new DWORD value and name it:

ANT Disable

I hope in the next release we can switch it off without using regedit, but thanks for this solution !!!!

Message 28 of 53
Griffoz

Help! please I have used the "ANT Disable"  suggestiion

and managed to lose the Cube and navigation wheel and would like

to restore them,can anyone help please?

T.I.A.

Message 29 of 53
Anonymous

Set ANT Disable to 0

Message 30 of 53
lhoang

i lost the navigation bar but not the cube.  another guy lost both and had to undo the regedit to get it back.

Message 31 of 53
BMiller63
in reply to: lhoang

I too lost the View Cube and Nav bar when trying this.

XP 64.

is there a way to get the view cube back at the very least?

Message 32 of 53
Mark_Wigan

i never use the rewind and actually think i have never seen others using it.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 33 of 53
lhoang
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

whether you use it or not, Inventor is storing the information and using precious memory.

Message 34 of 53
matt.smith
in reply to: BMiller63

Sorry, not that I'm aware of.  Like I said--it's a big hammer, and it's the only thing I could find currently. 

- Matt

@BMiller63 wrote:

I too lost the View Cube and Nav bar when trying this.

XP 64.

is there a way to get the view cube back at the very least?

Message 35 of 53
BMiller63

Thanks Matt,

Can you suggest a way to get this considered for a hotfix, maybe?

My testing showed some signifigant improvements with the ANT Disable toggle, but I have users that will never accept the loss of the View Cube.

Message 36 of 53
matt.smith
in reply to: BMiller63

This isn't really my area of expertise or control (I just browsed around in the code to see if I could find something that would cause it to be turned off).  That said,

1. I'll do a little more digging to see if I missed anythhing the first time around that would turn off less (i.e. not the view cube).

2. I'll ask around to see what the chances are of getting something like this changed as a hotfix.  My initial personal guess would be that there is a close to zero chance of getting this as hotfix since hotfixes tend to be reserved for only the most critical issues.

Thanks,

- Matt

@BMiller63 wrote:

Thanks Matt,

Can you suggest a way to get this considered for a hotfix, maybe?

My testing showed some signifigant improvements with the ANT Disable toggle, but I have users that will never accept the loss of the View Cube.

Message 37 of 53
dodrain

My initial personal guess would be that there is a close to zero chance of getting this as hotfix since hotfixes tend to be reserved for only the most critical issues.

Thanks,

- Matt

THIS IS A CRITICAL ISSUE ..... 🙂 We are loosing memory because of a function we don't need.    🙂  :p)

Message 38 of 53
matt.smith

:).  I thought I'd get a response like this when I wrote that.

FYI, I did a bit more digging and found that:

1. The history is capped at 100 frames (I'm guessing most will say that's too large).

2. It appears the memory dedicated to rewind gets reclaimed after file close.

3. There is no reg key to control just rewind 😞

I'll keep you posted on further updates,

- Matt

@dodrain wrote:

THIS IS A CRITICAL ISSUE ..... 🙂 We are loosing memory because of a function we don't need.    🙂  :p)

Message 39 of 53
dodrain

@matt.smith wrote:
:).  I thought I'd get a response like this when I wrote that.

FYI, I did a bit more digging and found that:

1. The history is capped at 100 frames (I'm guessing most will say that's too large).

2. It appears the memory dedicated to rewind gets reclaimed after file close.

3. There is no reg key to control just rewind 😞

I'll keep you posted on further updates,

- Matt

@dodrain wrote:

Thanks for your hard work, you are the only one left to help us  :`(

Message 40 of 53
karthur1

Thanks for your hard work, you are the only one left to help us  :`(

And we won't have him much longer .....  Hate to see you go Matt.

Kirk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report