Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Memory Issues

52 REPLIES 52
Message 1 of 53
lhoang
3278 Views, 52 Replies

Inventor Memory Issues

Autodesk REALLY needs to do something with the memory issue.  I can hardly open up or switch between 2 projects before i have to close and reopen inventor.  If it happens to be a large project I'm working on, forget about it.  I have to close out inventor about once an hour.  What's up with that?  Your killing us Autodesk....

I know this has been topic of several discussions, but I needed to vent for a minute.  what sayeth you fellow inventor users?

Window XP 2002 SP3

Intel Xeon W3580 @ 3.33Ghz

4 GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800

52 REPLIES 52
Message 2 of 53
zma1013
in reply to: lhoang

Well, in a round about way, they sort of have a system for managing memory, in the form of the LODs.  However, this doesn't solve the problem when the memory bar at the bottom fills up but never empties.  Having to restart the program every 30 minutes is not a solution, it's a work around.  It's dumb and they need some way or "purging" whatever Inventor puts into memory, or at the very least it would be nice for them to acknowledge if it's an impossibility for them to achieve, then we would at least know for sure.

IV2012

Windows XP SP3 32-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 @ 2.13 GHz
Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI 256MB Vram
2 GB Ram
160GB HDD
Message 3 of 53
BMiller63

are you using 32bit?

if so you should really consider moving to 64, IMO

Message 4 of 53
lhoang

32 bit

I've been considering going to 64 bit, but it is quite an investment to upgrade everyone, isn't it?  Then i was also worried about compatability issues.  Do you have issues with 64 bit and a 32 bit server and any compatability issues with other systems or is it a non issue?

Message 5 of 53
BMiller63

Think of it this way, Inventor is currently outperforming your 32 bit system. What you're seeing is not an application issue (the application is doing the best it can) but a system issue (not enough RAM to keep up).

Other than the cost (as you mention) we've not had any issues with 64 bit. We have upgraded a some machines and left some at 32bit, depending upon the user, and the extent to which they work on large/complex parts and assemblies. The performance gains are very noticable, you'll wish you'd done it earlier.

Also, go with at least 8G of RAM, 6 will do, but you'll likely max it out, 8 or more gives you more "leg" room.

Message 6 of 53
dodrain
in reply to: BMiller63

The biggest MEMORY LEAK is the REWIND function.

Open Inventor, open a average assembly.  Do nothing but using the orbit tool for a while.  Designers use the orbit tool a lot, or use a 3D-Mouse.  Each view is STORED into the memory.  So when u use the REWIND tool  you can go all way back to the start of opening your assembly.

The thing is, WHO uses the REWIND tool?  Can we do a poll?  I don't use it.   And i can't switch it OFF.

I mentioned this before to a Autodesk Engineer. 

So the day Autodeks provides a  SWITCH OFF REWIND feature,  Inventor needs less memory.

You can test this. Open assembly and open taskbask go to performance tab.  Zoom in, out, orbit, zoom in, out. Without drawing a thing do this for a about a few minutes and see the memory ussage increase... Only because of the REWIND function.

Who votes to stop the REWIND  function, raises his hand.  

I DO !

Message 7 of 53
dodrain
in reply to: dodrain

And think of this? Who wants to go all way back to his first view with the REWIND tool after for about 3 hour drawing????? Is it relevent that the REWIND tool keeps all the views in memory ?

Even when you do nothing but zooming, orbiting, panning etc...  Memory ussage rise, and when you close a drawing  (not inventor)  Inventor doesn't do clean-up memory.

Message 8 of 53
zma1013

What is the rewind tool?  Do you mean like ctrl+z?

IV2012

Windows XP SP3 32-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 @ 2.13 GHz
Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI 256MB Vram
2 GB Ram
160GB HDD
Message 9 of 53
BMiller63
in reply to: zma1013

@zma1013 wrote:

What is the rewind tool?  Do you mean like ctrl+z?

see link

http://inthemachine-autodesk.typepad.com/blog/2010/05/just-rewind-it.html

Message 10 of 53
dodrain

Who uses this memory consuming tool a lot? It would be smart that Autodesk would give us a setting we can turn it on/off

Or to set Rewind to for excample 0 - 5 - 10 - 15 - 20 views back where 0 = OFF

Message 11 of 53
lhoang

That explains part of th the sudden Jump in memory consumption.  Too bad this seems to be a useless tool for most designer and engineers and too bad we can't disable it...then again, I cannot speak for those who do use it...if they exist. Makes me wonder what other features are hogging my memory uneccesarily. 

Of course, if we would all go to 64 bit with 8G of ram we'd be o.k.  Once again, it's not the application, it's the consumers fault, but this makes it harder and harder to justify to upper management why I need to spend thousands of dollars a year to maintain subscription AND oh by the way, we all need new computers.....

Message 12 of 53
dodrain

Ihoang,

Not all companies has unlimited resources for buying new computers each year to keep up new software features. 

And even with 64-bit and 8G of ram when you have to zoom in and out, orbit, pan a lot in a workday you see the memorybucket fill up... until the bucket is full, then you have to restard Inventor. Even when you close the memory consuming drawing , Inventor doesn't clean up the memory why?

Maybe Autodesk should give us a switchboard where we designer can switch on/off features that consume memory while working but we don't use.

I really wonder if there are REWIND users in this forum?  Who needs to be able to Rewind the views from end to start and in between after for excample 3 hours drawing.

I think the REWIND thing was some kind of marketing thing, something you can show when giving a demo as salesman. 

Can there be a VB Macro to swicht of this thing?

Message 13 of 53
BMiller63

I've never used Rewind other than just goofing of with it. I didn't know it caused these memory issues.

Message 14 of 53
JDMather

I really wonder if there are REWIND users in this forum?

>Today I was flipping through a training manual for Inventor 2010 and noticed a feature I had forgotten about....

Rewind what's rewind? And what is that Navigation Wheel for?  Played with this about 1.5 minutes and turned it off when it first came out.  If a student asked me I wouldn't be able to answer these questions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 15 of 53
lhoang

"Not all companies has unlimited resources for buying new computers each year to keep up new software features."

Agreed, i was eluding to the fact that anytime someone has an issue, it's always the consumer's fault and not the application (oh, it's your video card, it's your memory, it's your mouse driver, oh, just don't do that then if it doesn't work, blah blah blah).  I would expect MOST companies cannot upgrade their computers even every three years...like me.

Message 16 of 53
BMiller63

@lhoang wrote:
...I would expect MOST companies cannot upgrade their computers even every three years...like me

You have to budget for the hardware upgrades that's for certain. A large part of the reason we did not stay current on subscription, is that we can not justify upgrading hardware and software each year, it's just too much $ without enough ROI. We've decided to fall a bit behind, and maintain what we have, so that we can budget for workstation upgrades, other (shop floor) upgrades, hire new people, etc.

We communicate externally with PDF, DXF and STEP files anyway, so we are pretty self contained, and will be able to stay on 2010 for a few years.

Message 17 of 53
dodrain
in reply to: JDMather

Rewind what's rewind? And what is that Navigation Wheel for?  Played with this about 1.5 minutes and turned it off when it first came out.  If a student asked me I wouldn't be able to answer these questions.

JDMather, you are a pro, how do you turn it OFF?  I have been searching for it long time but can't find it.

Message 18 of 53
dodrain

I think the attachment says it all.

I started a group on facebook  "I want Autodesk to turn off the REWIND tool"

Please support me 🙂  It's been on my wishlist for loooooooooong time.

Message 19 of 53
BMiller63

I'm not sure this is truely a "memory leak" as it is using memory by functioning as designed, that is stroring previous "frames".

But I agree that it should allow the user (or non-user as it may be) to disable it.

Message 20 of 53
dodrain

@BMiller63 wrote:

I'm not sure this is truely a "memory leak" as it is using memory by functioning as designed, that is stroring previous "frames".

But I agree that it should allow the user (or non-user as it may be) to disable it.

You are correct, but because almost nobody knows this function "leaks" memory without knowing, i called it a memory leak.... 🙂

I wonder how much frames a designer can make a day.  Maybe i should count them tommorrowevening before i turn off my computer.... Woman Wink

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report