Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor LT 2013 'Not Responding' when I try to use any sketch commands

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
cad
Participant
999 Views, 9 Replies

Inventor LT 2013 'Not Responding' when I try to use any sketch commands

Hi,

I have just started using AutoCAD Inventor LT 2013 and it's been absolutely fine for a week. But now, whenever I try to use even the most basic sketch command such as 'Line' I get the 'Not Responding' grey screen, so I have to start the task manager and close the program. This happens every time I try and access any of the sketch drawing commands, restarting the program or re-booting the computer makes no difference.

My system is:

Windows 7 Professional (32 bit)

Intel Core i5 CPU 660 @ 3.33GHz

4GB RAM

Nvidia Quadro NVS 290 graphics card.

I know that the graphics card is at the lower end of the spectrum, but I'm only doing 'day one, page one' stuff. It has never had a problem with large, complicated AutoCAD LT 2013 drawings so you would suppose that the 'Line' command in Inventor would (and did until yesterday) work without a problem.

Hope someone can help,

Cheers,

Mike

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: cad

Did you create a Windows Restore Point after installation?

if not (you always should)

try a Repair Install (go to Control Panel and right click on the Inventor

if that doesn't work

search Google for Autodesk Inventor Clean Uninstall document and start over. (and this time create a Restore Point)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
cad
Participant
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JDMather, I'll give it a go.

Probably a dumb question, but how do you create a Restore Point after installation....I must confess, I just shove the disc in and away I go!!

Mike

Message 4 of 10
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

... but how do you create a Restore Point after installation....I must confess, I just shove the disc in and away I go!!

After you get through this experience (of getting the software working correctly again) you will always create Restore Points.
I do this before and after installation of any software - saves a lot of headaches.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/2-simple-ways-to-create-system-restore-point-in-windows-vista/

But I can never remember exactly how to do it - I'll have to do a bit of searching.  Hmmm, I wonder if there is some sort of Win key shortcut....

%SystemRoot%\System32\SystemPropertiesProtection.exe

copy this here  (still looking for a key combination)

Restore.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
cad
Participant

Well the repair option didn't work. I'll have to uninstall and reinstall it.

Why do I need the 'Autodesk Inventor Clean Uninstall' document from google, can't it just be uninstalled from the control panel?

Mike

Message 6 of 10
JDMather

In most cases there is some Registry cleanup that needs to be done (might not be needed in your case).

I have never heard of this going easy for anyone.

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
JDMather

Also,

don't uinstall from the Control Panel

I noticed that they have added an Uninstall in the Start menu, I suspect it might do some extra stuff becuase of all the problems people have had, but I haven't gone that route yet.

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
cad
Participant

Cheers, will give it a try.

I have seen that win 7 has automatically created a restore point that predates my Inventor installation by an hour or so....will returning to this restore point be better than trying to uninstall the Inventor software?

Why is it doing this suddenly anyway....is it just still a really buggy program? My manager is expecting me to hit the ground running with this software!! I don't want to be reinstalling it every few weeks.

Mike

Message 9 of 10
mflayler2

Make sure you follow some other good installaton guidelines as well such as...

Make sure you are Administrator

Turn off Anti-Virus

Turn off UAC (User Access Control)

Also, what Antivirus are you using?  Some of the free or non-mainstream ones actually seem some CAD programs as viruses or the directories they are in constantly get scanned and registry settings get blocked.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 10 of 10
cad
Participant
in reply to: mflayler2

Thanks JDMather & Mark_Flayler,

I've managed to go to a restore point that was taken just before I first installed the Inventor LT 2013 Suite. I've re-installed it (creating a restore point before and after the installation) and, so far, it is working properly.

I didn't see your reply Mark until after I re-installed, so I did not turn off the anti-virus or the UAC, if I have another problem with the installation I will make sure I do this before another re-install. As for administration, we have an off site administrator, I will contact them if the problem persists.

Thanks again for all your help,

Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report