Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor lagging severely after Windows 7 update

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
psohaney
547 Views, 11 Replies

Inventor lagging severely after Windows 7 update

Not sure if the big Windows 7 update had anything to do with it, but the Inventor Professional Suite 2015 I've been using has become extremely laggy - to the point of being virtually unusable. 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
psohaney
in reply to: psohaney

Even starting to get strange error windows popping up that I've never seen before...

Capture.JPG

Message 3 of 12
psohaney

Capture.JPG

Message 4 of 12
ChrisMitchell01

There have been a few reports of those dialogs recently - I believe it's due to the Office database Engine 2010 SP1 that may now be installed.

They relate to the Electrical Component Browser functionality add-in. If you don't need to interoperate between ACAD-Electrical & Inventor then you can unload that add-in from Inventor, (Tools, Add-ins).

Whether that improves your performance or not though, I don't know...

Which version of Inventor are you running ? SP &/or Update.

Thanks

Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 12
psohaney
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

I've downloaded and installed the most recent SP and updates earlier this week to see if this would help, but to no avail.

Message 6 of 12
psohaney

I've even tried to move one of the project files to the hard drive of my CAD station, but the extreme lag is comparable to working with projects still on the network server.

Message 7 of 12
mcgyvr

@psohaney wrote:

I've even tried to move one of the project files to the hard drive of my CAD station, but the extreme lag is comparable to working with projects still on the network server.

And did you try to unload the addin as suggested by Chris above?

Do you use autocad electrical and Inventor together?

FWIW I keep my system up to date with all Microsoft and Autodesk service packs,etc... and do not have any problems with "lagging",etc...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 12
psohaney
in reply to: mcgyvr

Yes, I've actually tried "unloading" quite a few of the other Add Ins.

I've even tried re-installing Inventor Suite 2015, and when I opened it back up I'm still lagging a lot.  Even in the Open window, the preview frame takes forever to generate a preview picture.  Even the icons for the different files appear to update really slow.

Message 9 of 12
psohaney

Unloading the Electrical add in seemed to eliminate those errors, but otherwise the program has become virtually unusable due to the slow lag.  It takes minutes to open a simple part model, and half the time the program becomes unresponsive and I have to end it via Task Manager.

Would you recommend Uninstalling it via Control Panel and then re-installing it?  Before I simply selected Uninstall but it brought me to an Autodesk wizard that gave me the option to re-install.

Message 10 of 12
bob_holland

psohaney,

Can you please check where your Materials and Appearances are.

We have found that on some networks, there is a performance hit for this.

It is suggested that you have a master set on the network and have that users download it to a local location ie. C:\.....

Then modify your IPJ (Inventor Project) to point ALL of your Appearances and Materials to the local location(s).

Please try this and provide us with an update.

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 11 of 12

Another thing you can check is the available disk space on the drive where your temp folder is. Just open an explorer window & type %temp%. Delete everything there unless you know that you have something of use. You can also check from Tools App Options, File tab, where Inventor is writing its' temporary undo files - that should be a fast local drive.

If you're using an SSD drive ensure you're not approaching 80-90% capacity or that can cause performance issues.

Also check that you have a current graphics driver, etc. If you open a part file & go to Tools, App Options, Hardware tab & run the Diagnostics, copy/paste that into a text file & look right at the end for any error messages.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 12

We have one of the guys here that is having a similar issue.  The lags happen every 3-10 functions that are attempted.  By functions I mean anything from opening a file to starting a command to trying to drag a dimension in a sketch.  He has tried to repair and reinstall to no avail.  Our IT dept. has looked at it and thought maybe it was a ram issue but they replaced his RAM, nothing.  They also played with the page file with no improvment.  His machine is totally unusable for running Inventor at this point and our IT will be scheduling a complete reload since nothing else has worked.  This all started early to mid November after having run Inventor 2014 for some 6 months.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report