Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Jobs - A Rant/Vent

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
CelticDesignServices
501 Views, 1 Reply

Inventor Jobs - A Rant/Vent

***Board Admin, feel free to move this to another board if you see fit***

I'm sorry (to a point) on what I'm about to rant about, but it just really irks me as a professional who is trying to do nothing more than provide for not only my family, but the families of my employees as well.

I scourer the want ads and job boards in hopes of finding myself and my employees jobs we can do all across the U.S. and as we all know things have been pretty lean over the last few years. But things have been picking up as I see a lot more design/drafting or CAD Admin jobs being posted.

The problem is the going rates these jobs are offering.

For example, a direct CAD Managers position, responsible for all things CAD and a workforce of 20 to hire and fire, all the typical things a mid level manager needs to do and be responsible for, in MA, a rather expensive place to live.

Pay rate: $40k a year or $19 per hour (note: this position has been posted for over a year now...I wonder why. I interviewed with them and they are unwilling to budge more than another $1.00 per hour)

Or the Designer's job in WI, requiring at least 5 yrs of Inventor experience, 6 month contract, no benefits, no per diem.

Pay rate: $15-18 per hour or $37k per yr.

Granted there are some out there with higher rates....I've seen a designer job just like the one stated above, offering $55-65 per hour. But those are very rare.

As a lifelong (career wise) contractor, I haven't seen rates like those since the mid to late 80's. How in the world do they expect people, especially contractors to survive on those rates? A typical contractor gets no sick pay, vacation pay, holiday pay and will also have to purchase their own health benefits, not to mention having to pay for a second residence while at the job site. Considering the rate of the above Designers job, the person would be living, at best on $15k a year or $7.20 per hour....they'd be better off getting a minimum wage job at home.

Note to the employers offering these rates, you get what you pay for and if, by chance you happen to luck out and take advantage of a person in dire straights who's forced to accept such a low rate, you'll be posting for that job again in the very near future and all the costs involved of retraining and advertising will effectively double. You are missing out on some great talent that, in the long run, will only benefit your company.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: CelticDesignServices

Welcome to the new world order. The majority will be wage slaves while a select few sit on mountains of wealth.

As George Carlin said: "They call it the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report