Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Icon Replaced!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Throuble
112 Views, 2 Replies

Inventor Icon Replaced!

Here's a strange one for you: I received an AutoCAD drawing from a customer today that gave me some troubles and caused ACAD (2004) to lock up a few times. Well, I got frustrated enough to put this aside, so I shut down AutoCAD and got to work in Inventor.

After working just a short while, Inventor shut down for no apparent reason, so I went to lunch. When I got back, I noticed that the Inventor icon had been replaced with a file that had the same name as the troublesome ACAD file, but with a file extension of "dwl". Does anyone out there have any clue as to what took place here? I'm stymied!

Thanks,
Thom
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Throuble

DWL is the extension for a locked drawing file in AutoCAD. It sounds like that file got moved to your desktop and might be sitting on top of your IV icon. Try moving it to the side and see if IV icon is underneath. Check the properties of the DWL icon to find out where the file is located. If I remember correctly, if you try to open the original file, it will open in read only mode because of the lock file. If you delete the DWL file you should be able to open the original in the edit mode. Was there a proxy message screen when you tried to open the file? If so it was not created in vanilla AutoCAD and it could be a third party addon that is causing the problems. Throuble wrote: > Here's a strange one for you: I received an AutoCAD drawing from a customer today that gave me some troubles and caused ACAD (2004) to lock up a few times. Well, I got frustrated enough to put this aside, so I shut down AutoCAD and got to work in Inventor. > > After working just a short while, Inventor shut down for no apparent reason, so I went to lunch. When I got back, I noticed that the Inventor icon had been replaced with a file that had the same name as the troublesome ACAD file, but with a file extension of "dwl". Does anyone out there have any clue as to what took place here? I'm stymied! > > Thanks, > Thom -- Hal Gwin Mechanical Designer Xenogen W2K SP4 Dell Precision 650 Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon 1.5 GB DDR Quadro4 900 XGL nVidia 6.14.10.4472 w/registry update Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD
Message 3 of 3
Throuble
in reply to: Throuble

The Inventor icon was gone. (I had already moved the DWL file out of the way to make sure.

This is a brand new computer (PIII, 3gig w/ 1gig ram & NVIDIA Quadro4 580 XGL video card). Considering the horsepower, I expected it to have fewer problems in Inventor and AutoCAD. At first it was much improved, but then I went on vacation, and when I came back, it was like a different computer altogether. I'm not sure what's changed, but it's crashing out of Inventor and AutoCAD all too frequently. I've been wondering if it has to do with some type of system settings that aren't optomized. It's quite a frustration...

Thom

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report