Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor hsm 2015 for Mach3 G-Code

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
germanshepard17
8495 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor hsm 2015 for Mach3 G-Code

Hello, I use Mach3 to run a CNC router im using. Ive designed the part already and put it into the CAM section and got the tool paths layed out. Now im just wondering what type of file i should save the program as, and how to convert that into G-Code for Mach3. 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
blair
in reply to: germanshepard17

You could use a couple of different file extension types. You should check with the machine provider. Possible, the HSM software will provide the correct file type extension by default. For our Esab machines we can use a couple of file extensions. Such as TOK amd MPG for the machine.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 8
germanshepard17
in reply to: blair

But which extensions would be best suited for converting to G-Code for Mach3? (.stl,.stp,.dwg,.xgl) sorry i should have put that into the original.

And unfortunatly i do not know the maker of the machine.

Message 4 of 8
Mario428

G-Code is always an ASCII text file, our waterjet requires a .cnc extension but the file opens in Notepad and is just text. I do some manual programming and just change the .txt extension to .cnc for the waterjet to use it.

Some machines will generate their own G-code but you do not need a CAM program in that case, just send the dxf or dwg file to the machine

Message 5 of 8
mcgyvr

@germanshepard17 wrote:

Hello, I use Mach3 to run a CNC router im using. Ive designed the part already and put it into the CAM section and got the tool paths layed out. Now im just wondering what type of file i should save the program as, and how to convert that into G-Code for Mach3. 

You simply use the "post process" button in Inventor (CAM tab..toolpath panel) cam section to generate the required gcode for mach3. 

You don't need to save your Inventor file as anything.. Just keep the ipt file. The post process button will "automagically" create the needed text file that you simply open/run in Mach

Download the post processor here for mach

http://www.machsupport.com/software/downloads-updates/cam-post-processors/

Obviously try air cutting/practice paths or whatever first to make sure its working as it should before you try plowing into a big chunk of steel 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 8
LT.Rusty

@germanshepard17 wrote:

But which extensions would be best suited for converting to G-Code for Mach3? (.stl,.stp,.dwg,.xgl) sorry i should have put that into the original.

And unfortunatly i do not know the maker of the machine.

Based on your posts in this thread so far, it sounds like you might want to lock the CNC machine in the garage for a few months and forget about it while you do some reading and learning about CNC and play with Inventor and HSM a little.

If you just try to dive into it without knowing what you're doing, you run a serious risk of just destroying what is probably a very expensive piece of machinery.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
blair

Those are neutral format that would be used to import and export in/out of Inventor. After you do the CNC tool path in HSM it would need to be in an extension specific for your Mach3 machine. Not using a Mach3 machine I don't know what the G Code extension syntax is

I know it's not one of the extensions you listed.

Sent from my iPad

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: blair

I don't think mach cares what the extension is as long as its a valid g-code file..

hsm will just do .nc out of the box I believe but that can be changed

out haas Vf2 just uses .txt

my other machine uses .gcode or .cnc

Its machine specific.. 

and yes follow rustys advice above.. when you are ready you won't have to ask this question 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report