Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor freezing up when returning and/or clicking 'new'.

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Oilfan94
1053 Views, 13 Replies

Inventor freezing up when returning and/or clicking 'new'.

I'm working with Inventor 2015 Pro.

This happens almost every day.  I work with Inventor on and off for most of my work day.  I find that when I'm away from it (still using the computer) and I return to Inventor and click 'new', it instantly freezes up.  The button is highlighted but the entire program is unresponsive and must be ended via task manager. 

This doesn't happen every time, but I always happens in the afternoon. 

Does this sound like a network or hardware problem on my end, or has anyone else seen this behavior from Inventor. 

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
blair
in reply to: Oilfan94

Could be a bad User Profile, try logging in with a different User Account, prefferably, one with Admin Priv if you don't already have Admin Priv on your account. If this solves the issue, let me know and I can attach the instructions to reset your User Account. (assuming you are on Windows)

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 14
joe.sherry

I don't believe that I have seen the problem you describe but I have a few questions and comments (and some speculation).

First, this sounds too regular and repeatable to be a network or a hardware issue.  

When you come back to Inventor after working with other applications, is it only when you click "New" that you see the problem, or does it ever happen when you try to do anything else?

I assume the program is unresponsive indefinitely - I would expect a short delay, because while Inventor was inactive its dlls (libraries) will have been swapped out, and they need to come back into memory. But this should be a fairly short time.

When you kill Inventor from Task Manager, there are a few things to check for that would provide a clue. In the "Processes" tab, enable the columns "CPU", "Commit Size" and "GDI Objects". I would be interested whether:

Inventor is using any CPU at all 

The Commit Size is either very large (say around 2,000,000 K  = 2G) or still growing

•  GDI Objects is nearing 3000

If Inventor is not using any CPU and the memory usage is not unusual then it sounds to me like UI events (such as mouse clicks) may not be getting through, for whatever reason.

This might be a longshot, but if it's always the New command, and you happen to be using Box Sync as a backup utility, there is a known issue. If that is the case, here is additional information:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Autodesk-Inventor-2014-Freezes-When-Creating-New-Docu...

If you think of any other patterns that might help characterize this, please let me know.

Thanks

Joe 

Joe S
Software Developer
Message 4 of 14
joe.sherry
in reply to: blair

If it turns out that the suggestion to try running with admin privileges helps, please let me know. Ideally, we do not want to require our users to run as admin (for security reasons), and, as far as I know, that should not be necessary.

Thanks

Joe S
Software Developer
Message 5 of 14
nmunro
in reply to: joe.sherry

Joe,

I'm a bit surprised at your estimate of the number of GDI objects consumed by Inventor 2015. I typically see 1500 when Inventor is first started and no file is open, and 4700-5000 with one or more files open. Closing the files does not result in the objects being garbage collected either, this only happens when Inventor is closed. Compared to similar CAD systems Inventor is a GDI hog.

Neil

https://c3mcad.com

Message 6 of 14
-niels-

If what has been suggested doesn't help, maybe it could be that there's something else running... like an antivirus scan, or daily defragmentation... anything scheduled in the afternoon.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 7 of 14
Oilfan94
in reply to: joe.sherry

Thanks for the help so far.

As it turns out, I am running Box Sync and it sounds like others have solved a similar problem by turning off Box Sync when runing Inventor.

I will try that, and report back if the problem persists. 

Message 8 of 14
joe.sherry
in reply to: nmunro

My mistake on the GDI handles - the number I should have given is 10,000. And we have someone working on tracking down GDI leaks currently. And I am told that typically we do not see a noticeable performance slowdown when GDIs are leaked; the problem is that the program crashes if the maximum number is exceeded. If you see something different let me know. Also, if you have a workflow that shows obvious GDI leaking we'd like to hear about it.

Thanks!

Joe S
Software Developer
Message 9 of 14
Oilfan94

I've turned off Box Sync and haven't seen the problem return. So far so good. 

Message 10 of 14
joe.sherry

Good news - thanks.

Joe S
Software Developer
Message 11 of 14
ChrisMitchell01

Coincidentally we just heard from Box yesterday - they believe they have a potential fix for the conflict which may be available within the next few weeks. The conflict which causes the freezing is with Inventor File New dialog.

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 14
charles.heiber

I was having what I believe may have been the same issue. I talked to the I.T. help here and after trying a few other things, he tried "alt + space + m" then hit one of the arrow keys(this did not matter which one). When he did this it grabbed the templates dialogue box that had somehow popped up outside of my screen and I was able to move the mouse to a viewable location. After that it appeared where it was supposed to going forward.

I hope that works for you

Chaz Heiber

Autodesk inventor 2018

Message 13 of 14
cadadmin
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

I also ran into this issue with Inventor 2019.4.4., a recent addition was a WD backup drive. I uninstalled WD Discovery (Version: 3.6.163), rebooted and the issue went away. I realize this is an old post, but it is relevant and 3rd parties still seem to affect Inventor.

Message 14 of 14

It had turned out that my issue was not inventor freezing. The menu for template selection actually popped up off of my screen and because I did not see it, I thought my inventor was frozen. I just had to use alt+spacebar, hit the M key then without touching my mouse hit any arrow key and finally after that I could move the mouse to drag the window over.

Thanks for the reply

Chaz Heiber| 3d Modeling and Drafting services
Kawneer | Arconic Building and Construction Systems
2031 Deyerle Ave. | Harrisonburg, VA. 22801
Email: charles.heiber@arconic.com
Phone: 540-282-6138

Have you tried our new call center? Always get a live person between 7:30-5:30 EST 1-844-4Kawneer

[cid:image001.jpg@01D5E706.C7B0A400]

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report