Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor FREEZES

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
guumis
2342 Views, 12 Replies

Inventor FREEZES

Hi All

I am working on Inventor 2012 and sometimes when I use bigger assembly it freezes for few minutes before finishes the operation. I thought that maybe my comp don't have enough  RAM but it turned out that Inventor uses less than a 1GB Ram and I still have available 5GB free. Have to mention that I have really good graphic card NVidia Quadro 4000.

Does anyone know what is happening?

Many Thanks for any help.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: guumis

Are you using sub-assemblies (you should be).

Are you using shrinkwrap substitutions?

Are you using Adaptivity?

Do you have any conflicting or ambiguous constriants?

(see Post 8 in this thread)

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/IS-INVENTOR-REALLY-USEFUL/m-p/1332811/highlight/true...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
guumis
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for reply JDMather.

I use sub-assembly and adaptivity(but it is off in main assembly unless I do some changes then I only switch it on for a second) and don’t have  any conflicting constrains but not using shrinkwrap.

What actually interest me is why Inventor uses only less than a 1GB RAM when system still have 5GB of RAM not used at all (I have 8GB in total)?

Kind Regards

Message 4 of 13
blair

1.) 32bit or 64bit O/S?

2.) files stored locally or on a netowrk?

3.) run task manager look for services/programs that are using a lot or resources when Inventor hangs (possible A/V scans or other scheduled system maintenance programs)

Have you rebooted your machine lately (full power down/shut-down)

Current on all SP's and Hoft Fixes for your product?

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 13
guumis

I use 64bit OS and files are sort on the network and I shut my computer down every day.

I checked Task Manager when Inventor Froze and i noticed that i was using only about 1GB RAM and as I mentioned in previous post I still had 5GB available and that what puzzles me. Why it didn't used more RAM which was available?

Message 6 of 13
SoulAsasin

Do you have any complex surface parts, maybe imported from an other enviroment?

It happens to me when I work with complex parts imported form step or something.

Windows XP or 7. 7 gives a much better performance. At least in my experience.

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700
Message 7 of 13
NielsMaas

Hi there,

I'm experiencing a similar problem here. It mainly occurs when i switch tabs between a small object (.ipt .iam or .idw) and a bigger .iam. We have monitored the task manager and network behaviour but don't see any strange things.

Strange thing is that my workstation has functioned without problems until last week. There have been no changes to the configuration of this station (only Windows updates) and i haven't installed new software on this machine. I tried Windows system recovery to an earlier recovery point (months back, when the system was running correctly), with no result.

It's quite an annoying situation and i don't have a clue what causes the problem.

Greetings Niels

IV Professional 2012 (SP2) | 64 bit
Windows 7 Professional (SP1)
Dell Precision T3500
Intel Xeon 3.2GHz | 12Gb
NVIDIA Quadro 4000

Message 8 of 13
guumis
in reply to: NielsMaas

Hi

I have to say that it got worse around last week at my machine as well.

I cannot stop wondering if there is any limit for the Inventor which prevent it to use more RAM Memory. I have never noticed exceeding 1GB. Is it possible that system let it use only x% of the memory?

Thanks all for your help.

Kind Regards

Message 9 of 13
Ryan.Martinez

Try updating your video card drivers

P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016
Message 10 of 13
guumis
in reply to: Ryan.Martinez

did it like a 2 weeks ago

Message 11 of 13
blair

Possibly the last windows update has done something to your system with respect to your Inventor install (or you could have picked up a virus/maleware.

You might consider a un-install and re-install of Inventor.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 13
cmcconnell
in reply to: blair

We are seeing the same thing here on all machines running 2013 on Win 7 64. The larger the assembly, the worse it is.

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.
Message 13 of 13
guumis
in reply to: blair

Hi All

Sorry for not replying recently but I was on holiday 🙂

I want to thank all of you for your help and let you know that after being not able to fix the problem I had, I bought an extra RAM (now have 20GB) so Inventor now works very well J (although when I check Task Manager it shows me now that it uses 1.5GB ONLY – still cannot understand it 😞 )

Anyway thanks you all again for all your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums