Inventor General Discussion

Contributor
bryanthomas
Message 1 of 22 (768 Views)

Inventor Freezes when Opening Presentation File

768 Views, 21 Replies
04-18-2012 10:20 AM

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone else has run into issues with opening large presentation files. I have an ipn with about 12 different explosions of an assembly (roughly 300 parts) that links to design view representations in the assembly. Inventor handles everything just fine but after working with it for a while (updating design views) it reaches a point where it sits there and processes for about 30 minutes. If I shut down inventor and discard changes it still takes about 30 minutes to load. This only happens with the presentation file, and Ive already made it from scratch once. The PC I am operating on has an i7 and Windows 7 64 Bit so it can definitely handle the processing. If I let it do its thing then save everything is fine again.

Just wondering if anyone has ever run into this problem

*Expert Elite*
jdkriek
Message 2 of 22 (767 Views)

Re: Inventor Freezes when Opening Presentation File

04-18-2012 10:25 AM in reply to: bryanthomas

bryanthomas wrote:
...The PC I am operating on has an i7 and Windows 7 64 Bit so it can definitely handle the processing.

That doesn't mean anything.

What graphics card, memory, and CPU with full specs do you have?

Jonathan D. Kriek

Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Microsoft Certified Application Developer
Message 3 of 22 (764 Views)

04-18-2012 10:28 AM in reply to: jdkriek

8 Gb of RAM

Nvidia Quadro FX 1700

Intel Xeon E5405 @ 2 Ghz

Contributor
bryanthomas
Message 4 of 22 (764 Views)

04-18-2012 10:31 AM in reply to: bryanthomas

Sorry for the double post,

I also am running Windows 7 64 Bit Professional Service Pack 1

and I was incorrect I have 16gb of RAM

PC is and HP xw8600 Workstation

Contributor
bryanthomas
Message 5 of 22 (751 Views)

04-18-2012 12:01 PM in reply to: bryanthomas

Ok so the problem still persists even after I wiped out a big sub-assembly that was in the main assembly. And even after I deleted half the presentation views from the file. Its file size still remains at about 5 mb (which is too high imo). This is the second time this has happened out of no where. I think the file is somehow corrupt. And whats the use of the copy command on an ipn view when there is no way to paste it. A whole days worth of work on this tedious ipn now seems wasted.

*Expert Elite*
jdkriek
Message 6 of 22 (739 Views)

04-18-2012 03:20 PM in reply to: bryanthomas
You could be right about the corrupted file, however your graphics card only has 512MB which I have found to be the bare minimum when working with normal size assemblies and ipns. I used to freeze all the time just by zooming in on the model untill I upgraded to a 1GB card.

When you cleaned out the assembly did you try closing Inventor down to clear out your session? I've experienced this before where stuff gets stuck in memory and acts like you never changed the assy at all. Especially with 512 cards.
Jonathan D. Kriek

Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Microsoft Certified Application Developer
Message 7 of 22 (728 Views)

04-19-2012 05:55 AM in reply to: jdkriek

Yeah I do know that my card is on the low end of the spectrum and I am trying to get permission to upgrade. However it is weird how it would only effect .ipns however I can definitely see how the graphics pretty much effects everything.

I completely deleted the file and closed inventor when it happened the first time. Then I upgraded to 2013 the next day and created a brand new presentation file. I worked with the ipn for a about half the day and when I added a new part to the assembly the ipn at that point was just screwed. I suppose I will just remake the ipn and split my number of explosions in half across two files to make it easier on inventor and my computer.

And I know I ranted this in one of my previous posts but does anyone know the fuctionality of the copy command on an explosion view within a presentation file? I cannot paste it in a new ipn and I cannot paste it within the same ipn. Just curious if this worked in any way shape or form.

Contributor
bryanthomas
Message 8 of 22 (712 Views)

04-19-2012 01:56 PM in reply to: bryanthomas

Ok guys I have made an observation and I wanted to know if anyone had a possible answer for it.

If I open an assembly that I already have made and all design views are done and I update it in anyway. Be it removing a part or changing a color, and save it. Then I open the drawing that contains views of a presentation file that link to assembly design views. This is taking about a minute, which ok...I guess is not too bad. I then hit save on the idw and it askes to save the ipn. I say ok. When I monitor the file size of the ipn it grows every single time. Even if I am simply changing one color in a design view. If the ipn updates in anyway and I save it in the idw the file size continues to grow. I went from 667 kb to 1.17 mb only saving it 2 times.

This progression seems to be what I am running into. It is running fast and great in the beginning as I am creating views, but then as I get a page or two in the idw (saving periodically) I hit this wall that limits my speed to the point in which I cannot even finish the drawing. Any thoughts?

Contributor
bryanthomas
Message 9 of 22 (693 Views)

04-20-2012 12:22 PM in reply to: bryanthomas
Any insight on this one guys? I really do not see it being graphics card related... When I open a project file that has been updated to the assembly a few times it takes about 5 minutes and shoots my processer up to 25%. Only presentation files do this...
jdemko
Message 10 of 22 (681 Views)

04-27-2012 08:34 AM in reply to: bryanthomas

bryanthomas,

I am running into the same issue as yourself and I have similar computer specs with a 1 Gb video card. Have you recieved an answer on this? This is the only thread I have found related to this. My file, without adding any views, is steadily growing and now I can no longer even run inventor with this particular presentation file without it freezing and becoming unusable within minutes.

I have also noticed even in the moments before it completely freezes my ability to use Ctrl + [hot key] options becomes unusable. I cannot save, or use the undo feature, making me think this could be memory related not graphic. This seems to be a pretty serious issue and I have went through a slew of troubleshooting please let me know if you found a solution or work around.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.