Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Freezes when Opening Presentation File

39 REPLIES 39
Message 1 of 40
bryanthomas
2831 Views, 39 Replies

Inventor Freezes when Opening Presentation File

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone else has run into issues with opening large presentation files. I have an ipn with about 12 different explosions of an assembly (roughly 300 parts) that links to design view representations in the assembly. Inventor handles everything just fine but after working with it for a while (updating design views) it reaches a point where it sits there and processes for about 30 minutes. If I shut down inventor and discard changes it still takes about 30 minutes to load. This only happens with the presentation file, and Ive already made it from scratch once. The PC I am operating on has an i7 and Windows 7 64 Bit so it can definitely handle the processing. If I let it do its thing then save everything is fine again.

Just wondering if anyone has ever run into this problem

39 REPLIES 39
Message 21 of 40
bruce
in reply to: dlandisadaptek

Hi guys.

I tried changing to compatibility mode after someones suggestion. Made no difference at all. I down loaded the latest Nvidia driver for my Qunadro K4000 thats WHQL certified (the last driver was certified too) last week. So far no problems running in compatibility mode. Yesterday I changed back to Performance mode, but its too early to tell if its still hangs as the problem is so random and have only opened a couple of presentions files so far.

Regards Bruce

Message 22 of 40
dlandisadaptek
in reply to: bruce

We'll, if nothing else it's good to hear that the problem existed with a "certified" graphics card too.  We're using GTX770's and uncertified cards are always the first suspect.

Keep us posted,

Dave

Message 23 of 40
andrew_lehman
in reply to: bryanthomas

I have similar issues, most commonly with opening ipns and dwgs.  Sometimes Inventor spends 10 minutes loading a healthy ipn or dwg (no broken constraints) into memory at 20 kB/s.  Then it will hit a stride and load closer to the usual (still pitiful) 1-20 MB/s.  All the while, my processor sitting mostly idle.  Computer specs below.  This is a known issue, Autodesk is reviewing what it would take to make full use of multicore processor:  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/full-use-of-multicore-processor/idi-p/3744575

i7 processor (2 GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads)

20 GB RAM

ATI FirePro M7820 (1GB GPU)

Message 24 of 40

Hi Andrew,

Certainly multi-threading will help some workflows but some may not. For the poor performance (open IPN) you are seeing, it may be defective behavior. What release of Inventor are you using? Could you share the files with us? I can set up a secure account for you to upload. Please feel free to contact me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 25 of 40
t_hascj
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi guys,

Performance problem could be caused by assemblies/parts in Hidden folder in Sequence if you exploded big assemblies. 

Proposal of solution on this problem:
1. For new IPN: If you want to explode one component in View, then should add only this component, not whole assembly. If you added whole assembly, but exploded small component only, then in Hidden folders is a lot of unnecessary components. 
2. Fix for old IPN: If you don't want to recreate the explosion views. Try to remove all invisble components from Hidden folder. This not affect Animation, because the components are invisible.

Thanks,

Jaroslav 

Message 26 of 40

Hi Johnson,

I'm running Inventor 2014 Pro SP2.  Unfortunately I can't share any files because of confidentiality issues.

I have had some unexpected improvements in performance just this week.  There were some updates pushed onto my machine 3-31-2016, typical periodic updates from corporate IT.  I don't think any of them had directly to do with Inventor but I have noticed Inventor loading time has significantly improved with no change to my work flow.  Until last week this 1.5 GB IPN took minimum 30 minutes to open.  Now it takes 3 minutes to open.  Opening from same hard drive location, application options unchanged, vault integration logged out same as always.

Not sure what to learn from this.  Lots of different factors playing into Inventor performance.  Autodesk isn't always to blame.  🙂

Message 27 of 40
andrew_lehman
in reply to: t_hascj

Hi Jaroslav,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not familiar with the Sequence functionality or Hidden folders in IPNs.  Is this functionality available in Inventor 2014 Pro SP2?  I'm strictly working with exploded views for use in DWGs.

See my reply to Johnson above, currently Inventor is working much better than in the past.  Not sure why.

Andrew

Message 28 of 40
t_hascj
in reply to: andrew_lehman

Hi Andrew,

Yes, it's available. You need to change the browser view.

See https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2014...

But it is not problem in your case. 

Jaroslav

Message 29 of 40
smokes2998
in reply to: t_hascj

If you are hiding parts in the .ipn to create each of the exploded views this will happen.

You need to to create level of details in your Assembly and suppress the components that are not in the exploded view.

level of  detail.PNG

When you create a view in the ipn select the option button and select the level of detail you have created for that view.

options.PNG

lod2.PNG

if your assembly  has components that move you need to create a Positional representation so the Balloon in the drawing don't move  due to someone  moving parts of the assembly

Message 30 of 40
andrew_lehman
in reply to: smokes2998

Smokes,

I am not hiding parts in IPN.  I currently use associative View representations for this functionality rather than Levels of Detail.  I have better luck with performance when using Views than with Levels of Detail.

Andrew

Message 31 of 40
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: andrew_lehman

just to be clear, it does not matter at least from what i saw, whether it is loading an actual ipn presentation into the session or not. the message is seen discretely when opening any idw regardless...

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 32 of 40

Hi Andrew,

I am aware of a potential performance issue with legacy IPN file referencing an assembly with a lot of local unused appearance styles. Could you do an experiment for me and see if it helps?

1) Find the dataset exhibiting the behavior. Perform Pack and Go and put it in a separate folder.

2) Make sure those files are all write-able.

3) Start Task Scheduler -> create an Update Design Task -> uncheck "Skip migrated files" and check "Update Local Materials and Appearances."

4) Run the task.

After that, is the IPN loading performance still poor?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 33 of 40

Johnson, I can't find the "Update Local Materials and Appearances" option.  Attached is my options window.  Is this where I should be looking?

Message 34 of 40

Hi Andrew,

I am sorry to have misled you. You don't need to check "Update Local Materials and Appearances" option (available only in 2015 and later). You simply need to run an Update Design task. The unused styles will be removed from the files.

Many  thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 35 of 40

Johnson, I performed a Pack n Go and a successful Update Design task for the problem assembly as you described.  It didn't improve open time in this case.

Message 36 of 40

Hi Andrew,

Was the IPN file also included in the Update Design task? Could you share the dataset with us? I can set up a secure account for you to upload. Please send me an email directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com).

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 37 of 40
JoseLuisCam

Hi people.

We have same problem. Freezes opening DWG and status bar message "Loading presentation". The problem is randomly. We have Inventor 2014 and Windows 8.1 Pro and all service packs and fixes installed for Inventor, Vault and AutoCAD.

Do you have any solution?

Message 38 of 40
johnsonshiue
in reply to: JoseLuisCam

Hi! Could you share the files with us? Could you upload the files to A360 or any server of your choice?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 39 of 40
bshbsh

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi! Could you share the files with us? Could you upload the files to A360 or any server of your choice?

Many thanks!

Hi,

I have the same problem. In my case, sometimes randomly (but quite often!) I can't even create a new drawing from the template, so it is not related to model files. Today I had to kill Inventor 5 times in a row trying to make a drawing or opening an existing idw. Sometimes it succeds creating a new drawing from the template, and from then on it will work with opening old idw's too. Sometimes it just works, sometimes not... Strange thing is, everything is on the network and used by everyone else, yet only me has this problem, no one else. I even reinstalled the entire Inventor suite to no avail.

Win7 x64, i7 4771, 16GB ram, GTX670, Inventor 2014. Everything is up to date.

Message 40 of 40
JoseLuisCam
in reply to: bshbsh

Hello crew.

We have solved the problem! (using Inventor 2014)

Installing .NET Framework 4.6 and all C++ runtime libraries using this KB:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to...

Thanks to all!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report