Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Freezes when Opening Presentation File

39 REPLIES 39
Message 1 of 40
bryanthomas
2807 Views, 39 Replies

Inventor Freezes when Opening Presentation File

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone else has run into issues with opening large presentation files. I have an ipn with about 12 different explosions of an assembly (roughly 300 parts) that links to design view representations in the assembly. Inventor handles everything just fine but after working with it for a while (updating design views) it reaches a point where it sits there and processes for about 30 minutes. If I shut down inventor and discard changes it still takes about 30 minutes to load. This only happens with the presentation file, and Ive already made it from scratch once. The PC I am operating on has an i7 and Windows 7 64 Bit so it can definitely handle the processing. If I let it do its thing then save everything is fine again.

Just wondering if anyone has ever run into this problem

39 REPLIES 39
Message 2 of 40
jdkriek
in reply to: bryanthomas

@bryanthomas wrote:
...The PC I am operating on has an i7 and Windows 7 64 Bit so it can definitely handle the processing.

That doesn't mean anything.

What graphics card, memory, and CPU with full specs do you have?

Jonathan D. Kriek
MFG Solutions Engineer
KETIV Technologies, Inc.

Message 3 of 40
bryanthomas
in reply to: jdkriek

8 Gb of RAM

Nvidia Quadro FX 1700

Intel Xeon E5405 @ 2 Ghz

Message 4 of 40
bryanthomas

Sorry for the double post,

I also am running Windows 7 64 Bit Professional Service Pack 1

and I was incorrect I have 16gb of RAM

PC is and HP xw8600 Workstation

Message 5 of 40
bryanthomas

Ok so the problem still persists even after I wiped out a big sub-assembly that was in the main assembly. And even after I deleted half the presentation views from the file. Its file size still remains at about 5 mb (which is too high imo). This is the second time this has happened out of no where. I think the file is somehow corrupt. And whats the use of the copy command on an ipn view when there is no way to paste it. A whole days worth of work on this tedious ipn now seems wasted.

Message 6 of 40
jdkriek

You could be right about the corrupted file, however your graphics card only has 512MB which I have found to be the bare minimum when working with normal size assemblies and ipns. I used to freeze all the time just by zooming in on the model untill I upgraded to a 1GB card.

When you cleaned out the assembly did you try closing Inventor down to clear out your session? I've experienced this before where stuff gets stuck in memory and acts like you never changed the assy at all. Especially with 512 cards.
Jonathan D. Kriek
MFG Solutions Engineer
KETIV Technologies, Inc.

Message 7 of 40
bryanthomas
in reply to: jdkriek

Yeah I do know that my card is on the low end of the spectrum and I am trying to get permission to upgrade. However it is weird how it would only effect .ipns however I can definitely see how the graphics pretty much effects everything.

I completely deleted the file and closed inventor when it happened the first time. Then I upgraded to 2013 the next day and created a brand new presentation file. I worked with the ipn for a about half the day and when I added a new part to the assembly the ipn at that point was just screwed. I suppose I will just remake the ipn and split my number of explosions in half across two files to make it easier on inventor and my computer.

And I know I ranted this in one of my previous posts but does anyone know the fuctionality of the copy command on an explosion view within a presentation file? I cannot paste it in a new ipn and I cannot paste it within the same ipn. Just curious if this worked in any way shape or form.

Message 8 of 40
bryanthomas

Ok guys I have made an observation and I wanted to know if anyone had a possible answer for it.

If I open an assembly that I already have made and all design views are done and I update it in anyway. Be it removing a part or changing a color, and save it. Then I open the drawing that contains views of a presentation file that link to assembly design views. This is taking about a minute, which ok...I guess is not too bad. I then hit save on the idw and it askes to save the ipn. I say ok. When I monitor the file size of the ipn it grows every single time. Even if I am simply changing one color in a design view. If the ipn updates in anyway and I save it in the idw the file size continues to grow. I went from 667 kb to 1.17 mb only saving it 2 times.

This progression seems to be what I am running into. It is running fast and great in the beginning as I am creating views, but then as I get a page or two in the idw (saving periodically) I hit this wall that limits my speed to the point in which I cannot even finish the drawing. Any thoughts?

Message 9 of 40
bryanthomas

Any insight on this one guys? I really do not see it being graphics card related... When I open a project file that has been updated to the assembly a few times it takes about 5 minutes and shoots my processer up to 25%. Only presentation files do this...
Message 10 of 40
jdemko

bryanthomas,

I am running into the same issue as yourself and I have similar computer specs with a 1 Gb video card. Have you recieved an answer on this? This is the only thread I have found related to this. My file, without adding any views, is steadily growing and now I can no longer even run inventor with this particular presentation file without it freezing and becoming unusable within minutes.

I have also noticed even in the moments before it completely freezes my ability to use Ctrl + [hot key] options becomes unusable. I cannot save, or use the undo feature, making me think this could be memory related not graphic. This seems to be a pretty serious issue and I have went through a slew of troubleshooting please let me know if you found a solution or work around.

Message 11 of 40
bryanthomas
in reply to: jdemko

*bump* Does anyone have a possible explanation of this? I know I keep bugging everyone, but I am just trying to get a possible solution. Thanks.
Message 12 of 40

Doesn't only freeze when opening an .ipn file.  We're trying to open .idw's and have never even created an .ipn presentation file.

We've had this error for the last year or so, since upgrading to IV2014 and Win 8.1 x64. No way to submit an error report because the only way out of it is to kill the process in task manager. Have discussed with our VAR support for several weeks/months to no avail. Only recommendation was to disable every add on we're using as well as the 3D Connexion navigator we use, repair/reinstall IV 2014, upgrade all drivers for absolutely everything. Even went so far as to try all of that and it still happens.

Hoping someone can help with this eventually. We've got 2015 downloaded on subscription but aren't ready to make that jump yet (right in the middle of several big projects). Maybe it's fixed there, if someone can speak to that, we'd appreciate it.

IV 2014 with all SP's and updates applied

i7-4770

16Gb

SSD 840 Pro

GeForce GTX 770 (4Gb)

Win 8.1 x64

Asus Z87-PRO MB

Message 13 of 40

Hi! When did you first notice the behavior? Was it on R2013? Could you try the following and see if it makes a difference?

1) Identify an idw exhibiting the behaivor.

2) Use Pack&Go to make a copy of the idw and its reference ipt and iam files to a different folder.

3) Start Task Scheduler and create a Update Design task pointing to the folder.

4) Run the task.

After that, does the idw still hang on open?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 40

We jumped from IV 2010 straight to 2014 and updated PC's from Win 7 x64 to Win 8.1 x64 all at the same time.

We can try your suggestion but it doesn't happen with just old versions and it's intermittent and not repeatable on any specific files.  One of the first suggestions from our VAR was to start out by loading an .ipn file.  His thinking was that the presentation app was hanging on load.  Tried that and it didn't help either.

We'll open or create a brand new .idw with IV 2014 and later it may freeze when opening... always with "Loading Presentation..." displayed in the status bar.  Same thing with older Inventor version .idws.  Hit or miss.  Frustrating part is it usually misses when you're not expecting it and haven't saved for awhile.

Happens whether we do a file open with the Inventor dialog or just double click to open in Windows Explorer too.

I think somebody here read a comment on another forum that they've seen the problem when .idw template files are not stored locally and we're using a shared network folder for our templates.  Not using Vault either.  Possibly a link there?

Thanks for the help,

Dave

Message 15 of 40

Hi! Has the Color and Material Styles properly migrated from R2010 to R2014? The process I mentioned earlier would help remove the redundant styles accumulated in files, which could drag down performance.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 16 of 40

They're all available to us.. not sure how to tell if they migrated "properly" but they all seem to work.

We do have a bunch of extraneous materials and color styles in our models but I don't think what we're seeing is a performance issue.  It's not slow to load, it never loads.  I've left an .idw while I went to meetings and waited over 4 hours for it to load (and this was a detail drawing of a single part not an assembly).

As mentioned in other posts, the CPU utilization returns to 0%, memory usage drops off and Inventor is just froze up.  Every other progam or app we're running is still functioning fine.

Message 17 of 40
bruce
in reply to: dlandisadaptek

Hello, I'm having the same problem. Inventor 2014 randomly freezing while opening presentation files. I was blaming win8.1 but while googling the problem I found these posts with the lead poster running Win7.

After restarting Inventor, normaly the presentation file will open fine next time. The problem has only started in about the last 2 months, and have been running the current setup about 9 months. Maybe started after installing SP2 but not sure?

My specs

Win 8.1 64 bit

Asus Z87-pro

Intel i7-4770K

16 GB Ram

Nvidia Quadro K4000

Message 18 of 40
johnsonshiue
in reply to: bruce

dlandisadaptek and bruce,

Have you tried changing Hardware option (Tools -> Application Options -> Hardware) to Compatibility mode on Inventor 2014? If it works better, it might point to graphics related problem.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 19 of 40
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: johnsonshiue

yes it seems like a graphics issue, but still suspicious that there is a bug here. based upon the following experience, i would like to see if we can narrow down the precise culprit. it is probably something simple!

in my case, i am opening idw / drawings that have no presentations / views when i see this hanging. inventor is active, but not responding to any user input. it is not really like any other inventor hang / freeze that i have seen, & the best way to explain this is that it almost seems like there is another window requesting user input, waiting in the background.

• up until 1 week ago, i have run in compatibility mode for the past few years. mainly because most computers i use are not the latest and greatest.
  • up until 1 week ago, i have never had this hanging when opening a drawing, when using compatibility mode.
  • for the above, the OS is either XP or Windows 7, and inventor versions likely 2012 to 2014 (ish).
  • also for the above, i have always used 3Dconnexion or various flavours, & several different add-ins.
  • having just switched to a new (reasonably good) pc, running on windows 8.1, i chose to run inventor 2014 (latest service packs) on performance instead of compatibility mode.
  • saw this hanging problem arise a significant amount of the time. spent time checking drivers & compatibility settings for lots of things and still no joy.
  • switched back to compatility mode, and imediately saw this fixed.
  • i plan to systematically go through my nvidia graphics settings & disable / enable various functions to see if any make an impact.
  • ps- i know people who have had various versions of inventor running on new fancy pc's and laptops & still need to run in compatibility mode to stop it freezing and so on. right now, i think that i will also go double check for autodesk certified video card drivers while i am at it. it would be nice to know what exactly is going on.

• (pps- a little unrelated specifically but worth mention for autodesk users using 8.1.
      i did see some improvement with various random issues on some of my hardware drivers after i did a registry edit to completely disable UAC. the little fella was still trying to supervise things, even when turned off via control panel).
best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 20 of 40
dlandisadaptek
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

Mark,

Perfect description of the freeze up.  Inventor CPU usage drops to near zero like it's waiting on a hidden dialog box selection.

I have tried over the last year or so switching graphics back and forth between compatibility and performance mode and it happens on our systems regardless of the mode selected.  The problem is so intermittent that we're really struggling to debug it.  There will be no issues at all for hours, days and then it will freeze up.  Only when opening an .idw and always with "Loading Presentation" displayed in the status bar.

I can't speak to it being an issue specific to Win 8.1 since we upgraded PC's, OS and Inventor all at the same time but that's my current suspect.  We never had issues of this kind with Win 7 x64 and Inventor 2010 using Nvidia GTX graphic cards with 3DConnexion Space Navigators.

Thanks,

Dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report