Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor for lattice structure design

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jscott19
5384 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor for lattice structure design

I have been doing the design and shop drawings for lattice structures using AutoCad in 2D.  It works fine but there are a few problems where parts collide in final assembly.  My client suggests Inventor as he thinks it iwll be faster (and thus cheaper) and it would also automatically make shop drawings of each piece.

While I have no doubt it is possible to design and draw a lattice structure in Inventor, would it be efficient or would it be a waste of time compared to another program.  Would 2D AutoCad be more efficient?

I will be very interested in your thoughts on this question.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
PaulMunford
in reply to: jscott19

I think inventor would be much more efficient. But there is a cost. Inventor is available as an upgrade from AutoCAD so the software isn't to bad (and you get to keep AutoCAD). However you should budget for upgrading your hardware and training.

There is also an investment In time required. Inventor won't 'automatically' create your shop drawings, but if you learn how to set it up right you can certainly produce them quicker and more accurately than with 2D AutoCAD. The main advantage being that the whole thing is parametric, so if you change your model, all your drawings will update.

The 30 day trial is free. Give it a try!

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 3 of 7

we build latice structures in inventor, and give the models to engineers to stress.  The best part of a parametric modeller is that when the engineers change everything all we do is update the parameters to suit and provided the model is built well its ready to go.  Things like the welding space between 2 members conecting to a third at a point can be parameterised with formular so they are a minimum of 50mm or 4x wall thickness, whichever is greater.

It is also very useful at visualizing complex joints where 4 or 5 members are hitting the same area

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 4 of 7
mpatchus

We create all of our structures in Inventor. 

Bolt holes now line up in the field and everything goes together much more quickly and easily.

Station.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 5 of 7
jscott19

I know it's been a while but I finally have a copy of Inventor and I'm trying to learn how to use it.  When I get some proficiency, one of my first "projects" will be a small lattice structure.

Thanks for the comments.

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/p/inventor-tutorials.html
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/enu?adskContextId=HELP_TUTORIALS&language=ENU&release=2014&product=Inve...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
jscott19
in reply to: JDMather

JDMather,  I have already downloaded your PDF and have purchased one of Curtis Waguespack's books.  As I go through the book, I look at the relevant part of your PDF.   I find a second explanation often clears up something I didn't understand in the first refence.  I haven't yet used the Autodesk tutorials - perhaps I should look at them along with the other reference material.  It's slow slogging but I'm getting there.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report