Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor for injection molding designs? Please help!

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1172 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor for injection molding designs? Please help!

Dear all, I am not very familiar with Inventor but I am able to draw out simple designs for CNC and sheet metal products. My company (a small one) recently needs a design to be made by injection molding but I really have not much idea how to draw the design with inventor. I know the general guidelines. However are there any specialized functions for drawing designs for injection molding? such as adding ribs, bosses and give uniform thickness to the drawing like the "convert to sheet metal" function. Any other suggested materials that I can take reference with will be very helpful, too! Thanks! saldtch
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JamesLovell
in reply to: Anonymous

if you have never designed for injection molding befoere you might want to look at somthing like this site:-

http://www.protolabs.co.uk/resources/molding-design-guidelines/

Ive used them a few times for parts/tooling. 

There isnt really a automatic fuction to convert to a plastic part but all the tools you need exist within inventor, you just need to understand the rules and limitations yourself.

Regards,

James Lovell
Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz,QUADRO RTX 4000, 1TB CORSAIR MP600 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe
Product Design & Manufacturing Collection
Message 3 of 8
JDMather

Attach your file here if you can - and others will make suggestions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: JamesLovell

Thanks! I came across this website before but just didn't and still don't know how to draw these with Inventor. But definitely will dig deeper this time~
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks! Will surely post here whenever I have something drawn!
Message 6 of 8
LT.Rusty
in reply to: JamesLovell

@jameslovell4987 wrote:

if you have never designed for injection molding befoere you might want to look at somthing like this site:-

http://www.protolabs.co.uk/resources/molding-design-guidelines/

Ive used them a few times for parts/tooling. 

There isnt really a automatic fuction to convert to a plastic part but all the tools you need exist within inventor, you just need to understand the rules and limitations yourself.

More specifically, go here: http://www.protolabs.com/resources/educators  and then request one each of everything listed on that page. 

It's not (quite) as good as a semester-long 100-level class in plastic part design, but it's very close.  I've got all these bits and bobs kicking around my desk, and whenever I get stuck on how to do something I'll pull one of them out and play with it until I figure out how to do what I'm trying to do.

But, yeah - post your parts, and we'll try and help however we can.  Injection molding part design is one of my favorite things to do, and takes up about 75% of my work day.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Thanks! But is that available to individuals or companies? Very interesting materials!
Message 8 of 8
LT.Rusty

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks! But is that available to individuals or companies? Very interesting materials!

Yep.  If you put in your order and then you (truthfully) admit that you're not affiliated with a school or anything, they'll let you get one each of everything.  You can't get multiples unless you're connected to a school in some way.

I got the max of everything to give to my Inventor students in prep for the segment on the tooling suite, but anyone can get one each of whatever.

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report