Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Filing System/Active Project

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
pjkbraves11
370 Views, 3 Replies

Inventor Filing System/Active Project

So here's the situation: I have been importing parasolid files into Inventor. When doing so, a folder named "Imported Components" would pop up right next to the parasolid file, with individual Inventor part files of all the assembly parts in the parasolid file. 

My problem was (and I think it had to do with the active project file) I opened a parasolid file in one folder, let's say Project 1, and it worked fine. Then the next one I opened, in Project 2 file, would put its "Imported Components" in the Project 1 file (possibly because it was the active project?). I messed with the active project files for a while, and now it doesn't automatically create Imported Components no matter what I do - which is something I need. I can manually do it through save options, but I want to know what's the deal with the active project file and why Inventor stop automatically doing it, because manually making Inventor do it causes load time to take way longer.

Any help or knowledge, specifically with active project, is appreciated!
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: pjkbraves11

Click on the file to open, but before opening-

click on Options and check the location where files will be saved.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
pjkbraves11

Thank you for your response, I have found that as a valid way. I know you can choose in options where the imported components go, but here's my real question: when I don't specify, they always end up in the same folder - say, Project 1 - even if the parasolid file is in Project 2 folder. I believe this has to do with active project, but don't quite understand. Any reason they are ending up in the same specific folder regardless of the parasolid location?
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

The last settings used in the options will stay until changed.  If you save in workspace, then it should be controlled by the project.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report