Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor FEA meshing very slow and just stopped. what is .FRES file?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
victor.wong1
2356 Views, 3 Replies

Inventor FEA meshing very slow and just stopped. what is .FRES file?

Hi guys,

my part is a wire net, wire dia 5mm, net area is 1200x1500, thicknes =5mm(wire dia). wire pitch =150mm

you can see the image to get an idea.

question 1)

I was running FEA on a few different PC to save time. Somehow it keep asking me for the .fres file and locate it. I found out a way to delete the link by tools>Links.  So i deleted all the dead links.

so what is the FRES file

question 2)

after i delete the link of this files, it looks like that my FEA cannot finish mesh, and got stuck as shown on the image. any reason for it, or it is just my part is too big.

question 3)

it has the warning of "one or more bodies are too thin to treat as a body" any suggest to get around with it, or it is fine to leave it like that.

I have be using solidworks for years, and my new company is using Inventor. so please provide me some help

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
waynehelley
in reply to: victor.wong1

Hi Victor, I don't have much experience of using FEA in Inventor, but I do have some experience of wire structures in FEA (using ABAQUS).

I suspect that your meshing problem is caused by how your wires sit on top of one another. The points at which the surface contact area will be incredibly small as you have two round surfaces it contact, therefore the mesh generator may be attempting to create tiny elements around this contact area which may be so computationally expensive that it is grinding your computer to a hault when you attempt to mesh the part.

You could try simplifying the part so that the wires intersect one another.  does that make sense?

Wayne Helley
Inventor 2013 Certified Professional

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2023
Visual Studio 2022
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
Message 3 of 4
LT.Rusty

@victor.wong1 wrote:

Hi guys,

my part is a wire net, wire dia 5mm, net area is 1200x1500, thicknes =5mm(wire dia). wire pitch =150mm

you can see the image to get an idea.

question 1)

I was running FEA on a few different PC to save time. Somehow it keep asking me for the .fres file and locate it. I found out a way to delete the link by tools>Links.  So i deleted all the dead links.

so what is the FRES file

question 2)

after i delete the link of this files, it looks like that my FEA cannot finish mesh, and got stuck as shown on the image. any reason for it, or it is just my part is too big.

question 3)

it has the warning of "one or more bodies are too thin to treat as a body" any suggest to get around with it, or it is fine to leave it like that.

I have be using solidworks for years, and my new company is using Inventor. so please provide me some help

Cheers

1.  The .FRES file is one of the files for the FEA.  If you were doing the FEA on a different computer, I suspect that when you brought your parts / assemblies / whatever back to your main workstation, you only brought the .IPTs / .IAM's, and not all the files for the FEA.  This would be why you're missing that file.

2.  I don't see any reason why Inventor wouldn't be able to mesh that at first glance, but depending on your settings it would almost certainly take forever and a day - in order to get decent resolution you're going to have incredibly tiny mesh elements.

3.  I haven't come across that message before.

Something else to consider here is what your goal is when doing FEA on this part.  Inventor's FEA capabilities are pretty limited when dealing with non-linear situations.  If this is a free-standing part, you're not likely to get results that are as useful as you're expecting them to be.  If this is something like wire reinforcement inside of a concrete body that's a more linear situation, so it could be more useful there.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
blair

The diameter to length ratio on this is going to take a long time to mesh due to the size of the elements. I might consider doing this as a Frame-Gen object and doing the FEA as a simplified Frame-Gen model.

If the round item is not a stock CC shape, you would need to Author it, with all the required properties and material to be used for FEA.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report