Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor - Engraving on a sphere

47 REPLIES 47
SOLVED
Message 1 of 48
4694 Views, 47 Replies

Inventor - Engraving on a sphere

Hi,
I've been looking around and couldn't find a solution. I have a sphere which I'm able to project on a sketch of smaller circles which I'd like to engrave over it's surface, yet I want each of them to be perpendicular to the surface of the sphere in each point. Emboss doesn't do the trick, it just makes the engraving perpendicular to the plane.
Can someone please help?
Thanks!

47 REPLIES 47
Message 41 of 48
in reply to: JDMather

Beautiful!

Thank you very much, the right way is also the easy and the elegant one...

Again, thanks!

Message 42 of 48
JDMather
in reply to: 220610

Glad to see that you followed through - it is astonishing how many come here and ask questions but aren't willing to learn the easy way. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 43 of 48

Well, if someone's unwilling to solve his own problem... nothing anyone can do about it.

From the other side of the line, I'm glad there are people willing to explain, especially as thoroughly as you did.

Unfortuanetly, I'm not done with problems in my file. I've attached my latest problem. When creating a circular pattern, the feed entries (the round slot) works fine, the locking slot however (the triangle) gets completely messed up. Any advice on how to resolve that?

Message 44 of 48
JDMather

I don't understand the purpose of your Sketch6 or your 3D Sketch or your Rectangular Patterns 1-4.

I didn't go any further below that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 45 of 48

Sketch6 is used to project the line, you wrote that as a critical step you forgot to mention before and it's used for the patterning. As I wish to create varying coverage (different angles in reference to geometry) of the pattern I had to create each hole seperatly. Unless of course I'm wrong and there's a way to create a single rectangular pattern and then a seperate circular pattern for each element with it's own specification. 

Message 46 of 48
JDMather

No, I wrote that you don't need any 3D sketch and I wrote to drag the EOP before the Revolve Cut and Project geometry the actual outside of the hemisphere for that curve.

It is possible to have a curve driven pattern in two directions (I will try to post an example later today), but you must consider the logic of what is happening. (what is your seed for the patten?)  Also, I suspect your design intent is for a large number of patterns - Inventor doesn't do well with very large patterns.  If possible - model only a portion (like 1/4) and then Pattern the entire part.

Do you have a picture of something similar to this design?

I would rather solve this in one step than back and forth with 20 more questions.

EESignature

Message 47 of 48

This is a design that's still a thought in process, that's also why it's back from the dead since this discussion was originally created. There is a possibility that more holes will be created, as well as less. The shell diameter is currently tremendous, but there's a good chance that the final design will be considerably smaller (4 to 5 times smaller), again, this depends on several factors, most of them are constraints determined by our institute's workshop. Either way, the coverage will not exceed half of the surface area (in total, as there's a change in each quadrent of the shell in how many features there are).

By seed I believe you're referring to the original object of patterning? That will be both the revolved feature and the extruded triangle. 

What's EOP? I only saw the part of the project geometry of the outside spherical curve. I thought that what you meant, obviously I was wrong.

Regarding the ammount of features programs can handle: I have worked with Solidworks and Inventor creating shadow and photolithography masks, and not one of these programs can handle it well. But then again, when the mask is about a square of 225 cm^2 and the features are circles of 1-50 microns in diameter, that's a lot of features.

Message 48 of 48

Help please?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report