Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor DXF wireframe to solid

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
bsiper
1268 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor DXF wireframe to solid

Hi, I've been searching everywhere and can't find an answer to this.

I have a .dxf file of a surfboard that has been exported from another program, such that it's one enclosed wireframe model.

I need to convert it to a solid so that I can actually remove the shape of the board from a rectangular prism and create a CFD-ready external model.

My problem is, when I get the dxf into Inventor, it loads as a single surface, meaning that I can't use stitch to create a solid. How would I go about making a solid from my dxf wireframe???

Relevant pictures are added, but I can't actually disclose the dxf file due to an NDA.

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

PS dont fault me for the stitch at 0.0001 in, I've just been going crazy trying everything I can.

Thank you in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CCarreiras
in reply to: bsiper

Hi!

Have you try to copy the composite to Surface Construction enviroment and check if it's only one surface, or a composite of surfaces?

If it's a composite of surfaces, you can unstitch and stitch again to have a solid, but this only can be made in  Surface Construction Enviroment.

Why don't you post the file and we give it a try?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
bsiper
in reply to: CCarreiras

How exactly do you reach the composite to surface construction environment?

I tried right click then repair bodies. The dxf is attached in good faith, as that the design is patented.

NOTE: file is big

Edited by request
Discussion_Admin

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: bsiper

@bsiper wrote:

... The dxf is attached in good faith, as that the design is patented.

If it is patented - doesn't matter. 

If you want to protect intellectual property - I recommend that you remove the file.

I see in the first thread that you indicated NDA - I assume posting on a public forum would be a violation of that NDA.

The file appears to be thousands of 3D Faces, (planar facets) not a wireframe.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 5
bsiper
in reply to: CCarreiras

Thank you ccarreiras!!! I right clicked, repair bodies, unstitched, then restitched. Why that took that much effort I don't know, but thank you again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report