Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inventor dwg’s just keep growing and growing

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
warrentdo
541 Views, 7 Replies

inventor dwg’s just keep growing and growing

AIP2011

Something that I have Just noticed.

The file size on our inventor dwg’s just keep growing and growing 30-60 mb.

I have an inventor dwg open with about 10 items to detail and modify on it.

I open an ipt from the dwg and modify it then detail it up. Every time I then save the dwg it grows in size. I have just open an ipt and changed a hole from m6 to m8. I then pressed save on the dwg and it grew another 250k. I then changed the ipt back and saved the dwg and it grew another 250k. This is happening every time the dwg is saved. We now have drawings that are 30-60 mb on the system because parts have been modified from the dwg and then saved.

Can anyone else try this to see if this is just our machines.

I have found a work around that brings the file size back down to around 2 mb a drawing and that is to create a sheet two on the dwg, move everything across to it and then delete sheet 1.

This is time consuming but it works.

Regards

Warren.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ampster402
in reply to: warrentdo

what if you were to use .idw instead of dwg's?

Message 3 of 8
warrentdo
in reply to: ampster402

Hello Ampster,

The only reason that we use Inventor dwg is we thought that it would be easier to convert down to autocad dwg at a later date. All our inventor drawing must be saved as autocad 2004 to supply to client. This is a must.

I have just saved the DWG as a IDW and it losses the title block (because this is an autocad block) no problem.

both idw and dwg are 15186

I placed a hole in a part and saved  idw 15040 dwg 15806

I removed hole in a part and saved  idw 15035 dwg 16003

I added a part and saved  idw 15039 dwg 16420

I removed a part and saved  idw 15035 dwg 17031

Something is really wrong. 4 saves and 2 mb gets added to the inventor dwg.

I have created a second sheet and saved everything to it and deleted the first sheet.

Now the idw is 380 kb! Why is the dwg doing this.

is there any advantage in dropping the inventor drawing down to a dwg to make it easier to transfer to an Autocad dwg later?

Regards

Warren.

Message 4 of 8
ampster402

the advantage in this case would be the .dwg's are done and ready to be sent out to your client/s.  It's just that by the time you are done with the job (revisions, changes, customer required changes, etc) the .dwg will probably be huge (and I assume at this point someone is doing the extra work of creating the 2nd sheet and moving all details to it in order to bring the file size down).

While it might also create extra work, maybe consider working with or saving .idw's up to the point you need to generate or Save As to .dwg and just consider the .dwg as something temporary and not up to date.

So, what's quicker;

1. saving as .dwg and thus having to do the extra work (creating 2nd sheet, etc) at the end, as well as Inventor possibly running slower due to the .dwg file size...

or

2. Save as .idw and then do a Save As at the end when you are ready to submit to clients (and again, thinking of the .dwg's as not the governing file type - this could be a nightmare if not managed correctly)

I feel your pain when needing to exchange data in .dwg format!

Message 5 of 8
JDMather

Autodesk should be very interested in why you are seeing this behavior.

Question if dwg or idw should not be relevant.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
warrentdo

Well, currently the template is set up with AutoCAD block, title block etc so I cannot save out as an idw as it deletes them on save. I will have to make a new templates with inventor sketches etc and see what happens but that may take time. It's a real pain with AutoCAD block, attributes are ok as you can still edit them but text in blocks means closing down inventor, open up AutoCAD, edit block then bounce back to inventor. But that's the officail workflow. Not ideal. But still the growing inventor dwg should not be happening. Thank you for your suggestions. Warren.
Message 7 of 8
warrentdo
in reply to: JDMather

It's a good one this. Fancy seeing if you can replicate it 🙂 I will try tomorrow with a none AutoCAD block title block and see if it does the same I think I will also have a look at the datastore and see how big the vault is 🙂 I'm at a new company so bumping into thing as they come up. Regards, Warren.
Message 8 of 8
warrentdo

Well I think that it is something to do with the autocad blocks that are on the drawing.

If I create a new drawing without the autocad blocks everything seems to be fine with both the inventor idw and the inventor deg.

What is everyone else doing about having autocad blocks in an inventor deg?

I think I will have to now change all the autocad blocks into sketch symbols.

Regards

Warren.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report