Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Drawings to AutoCAD

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
hoaglin14
14581 Views, 16 Replies

Inventor Drawings to AutoCAD

I have been trying to export inventor drawings to dwg files so they can be opened in AutoCAD and be edited.  However when they are opened in AutoCAD, the views cannot be exploded for our needs.  Any help?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
john.laidler
in reply to: hoaglin14

Are you doing a 'Save Copy As'??

John Laidler
AutoCAD, Inventor and Vault

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.
Message 3 of 17
coreyparks

Do a "Save copy as" and select to save as an AutoCAD DWG not an Inventor DWG.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 4 of 17
hoaglin14
in reply to: coreyparks

Yes, I have tried to save copy as AutoCAD dwg but for some reason when I open it, it will not let me explode anything

Message 5 of 17
coreyparks

Sorry can't help at this point.  If your exporting as the proper DWG type as you said, it has always worked fine for me.  I have only seen the issue when saved as an Inventor DWG, then it can only be viewed in AutoCAD and not modified.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 6 of 17
hoaglin14

The only way I can get it to work is if I save copy as a dxf file, then open it in AutoCAD, then save as a dwg file. After all that I can finally edit the dwg file in AutoCAD but that seems like too long a process

Message 7 of 17
coreyparks

Can you post the DWG you are having a problem with?  Or make one quick that has the issue so we can take a look?  Post all of the files involved if you can.

Corey Parks
Message 8 of 17
guyh

If you use the option to move the views in Inventor to model space they are then contained in the dwg file as blocks (cant be seen on the model space in ACAD).  You can then use the design palette (I think it's called that) to select the block and place it.  You can then explode and edit the block.

A bit of a work around but it is possible.

Cheers,

Guy

AutoCADM 2011 SP2
Inventor Pro 2011 SP2
Message 9 of 17
hoaglin14

I have attached both the inventor file and the AutoCAD file that will not let me explode the views

Message 10 of 17
coreyparks

I believe I see the problem you are having.  You can't explode it and every time you select a view it selects everything in the view, correct?  During the export to AutoCAD Inventor made all the views using groups in AutoCAD.  You can toggles the selectability of these group with ctrl+H.  This changes the pickstyle variable between 1 and 0.  Give it a go, it should fix the problem.

Corey Parks
Message 11 of 17
brian.cranston

Each view is a stored as a block for use in AutoCAD.  Open it in Autocad and use the 'Insert' command.  Select the desired view and explode.

-Brian Cranston

Message 12 of 17
hoaglin14

That worked, thanks

Message 13 of 17
jeffrey.sun

Alternatively, the UNGROUP command can be used to explode the view group.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeffrey Sun
SW Engineer
Manufacturing Industry Group
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 17
swimfast831
in reply to: jeffrey.sun

We have problems converting section views into autocad

we have inventor 08 and acad mechanical 08

Message 15 of 17
jeffrey.sun
in reply to: swimfast831

What's your exact problem?

Are the section view geometries wrong?

Could you attach the source Inventor idw, generated AutoCAD dwg file and the image snapshot with the problem highlighted?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeffrey Sun
SW Engineer
Manufacturing Industry Group
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 16 of 17
aargear

Open as Read Only Inventor DWG file in ACAD (since ~ ACAD 2010  or 2011 ?).

Type  _exportlayout and press <Enter>.

Save & open new (model space) file.

Edit drawing in ACAD (explode or Block editor etc.).

P.S. I use "exportlayout" way only for simple task (drill / end points for CNC). I finish all my drawings in Inventor only.

WBR

Andrey

Message 17 of 17
gcamacho23

exporting inventor drawing into a dxf and opening the dxf file in autocad worked. I dont see why saving as a dwg wouldnt work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report