Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Curiosities

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
JavaLodge
374 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor Curiosities

Hi everyone,

These are just a few things that I've wondered about Inventor.  They aren't really errors, or bugs, I'd just like to know the reasoning behind them.

1:  When choosing the design review reprensentation for a sub-assembly in a master assembly, my choice doens't seem to 'stick.'  I can choose whichever one I want, but subsequent changes make the sub-assembly revert back to the master representation, seemingly at random.  Additionally, when a sub-assembly shows that a certain view representation is selected, but the model clearly shows that the master rep is being shown, I can't simply change it to the correct one.  I have to open the dialogue, change it to master, and then change it back to the one I want.  What's up with that?

2:  When making a sketch, you can reference a certain dimension in another dimension, so that the second dimension is equal to or based off of the first.  But when the original dimension is deleted, Inventor doesn't even blink an eye.  Inventor is usually so proactive about references, with pop ups and warning and what-not, that it seems strange that you can delete a referenced item and Inventor doesn't seem to mind.

3:  When using the offset flush constraint, the direction of offset seems to be completely arbitrary.  I know I can use positive or negative values to change the direction of the offset, but I don't ever know whether a positive or negative value will get me the correct offset.  It is based off of the order of selection of faces?

If anyone has any answers, I'd love too read them.

-Java

lkrenzler
in reply to: JavaLodge

Inventor is loaded to the extreme with these strange things, so much so that it would fill a book.  I've wondered about those exact things (and hundreds of others).

Another one would be in sketch mode, when I project geometry and then later decide I don't want one of the lines, I can't delete it.  Why?  

My pet peive is so often I want to do something but the command/tool is just ghosted out, no apparent reason, no explanation, no hint as to why.  Like the planets have to be perfectly alligned for you to use that tool or something.  It's there exept when you need it.

Very frustrating on so many levels...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inventor Pro 2019 - Win. 10 - GeForce GTX 1080 .
Message 3 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: lkrenzler

@lkrenzler wrote:

... when I project geometry and then later decide I don't want one of the lines, I can't delete it.  Why?  

.... I want to do something but the command/tool is just ghosted out, no apparent reason, ...

Break Link, then you can delete.

I have never seen this second behavior - can you attach an example file?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
andrewiv
in reply to: JavaLodge

1:  When you select a design view of a sub-assembly you can set it to be associative (see pic) then it will retain the design view.

2:  I agree with you on this one.  I think that it should at least throw up a box that tells you this dimension is referenced in another.

3:  When you use the flush command the direction is based on the first face selected.  A positive number will move the second face in the direction of the arrow on the first face.

Andrew In’t Veld
CAD Administrator

Message 5 of 5
JavaLodge
in reply to: andrewiv

Thanks Andrew, that helps a lot. I thought I was just going crazy with the flush command!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report