Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
lhoang
Message 1 of 34 (1,996 Views)

Inventor CRASH when CHECKIN to Vault and create .DWF file

1996 Views, 33 Replies
08-10-2010 06:15 AM

When I try to Check files into Vault from Inventor 2011 and I have, under settings, Create visualization attachment checked, Inventor locks up.  Only (1) of (4) machines with this problem.  Same machine is using Vista, everyone else is using XP.

Seems to hang up the most when i try to check the .idw.  Locks up 50% of the time.   Tends to upload parts and assemblies o.k. then hangs up on the .idw.  Any suggestions?

Windows Vista business 32 bit, SP2

Intel Xeon 5150 @ 2.66 ghz

4 GB Ram

Inventor Suite 2011, SP1 Beta

Product Support
dave.anderson
Message 2 of 34 (1,974 Views)

Re: Inventor CRASH when CHECKIN to Vault and create .DWF file

08-11-2010 08:34 AM in reply to: lhoang

If you were to disable the automatic DWF generation on Check-In, does it work?

If so, can you publish the DWF from Inventor separate from the Vault Check-In process? If you can't then it help to explain why it crashes when attempting to do it with Vault.

How many sheets are in your Inventor drawing & what options are you using to publish?

Dave Anderson
Premium Support Analyst – DLS Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.

If I have answered your question, please "Accept Solution" so others may benefit as well.
lhoang
Message 3 of 34 (1,969 Views)

08-11-2010 09:06 AM in reply to: lhoang

Check in works O.K. if I disable the .dwf publisher.

No, I cannot publish seperate from vault check in.  Inventor freezes up regardless.

If I try to save as, and use all the default settings, Inventor freezes.  I haven't tried to change any of these default settings.

This seems to be an issue with any amount of pages/file sizes.

lhoang
Message 4 of 34 (1,967 Views)

08-11-2010 09:12 AM in reply to: lhoang

update.  Sorry, actually trying it again, smaller files work.  1 to 5 pages in my .idw seems to go through most of the time.

Product Support
dave.anderson
Message 5 of 34 (1,966 Views)

08-11-2010 09:16 AM in reply to: lhoang

We've seen instances where larger sheet counts can be problematic, and not only from a DWF perspective. I try and use 10 as a rule of thumb. In most cases that number or less seems to be fine, but the complexity of the views is also a factor. Once you approach 10, may want to consider using a new idw/dwg file for the additional sheets.

Dave Anderson
Premium Support Analyst – DLS Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.

If I have answered your question, please "Accept Solution" so others may benefit as well.
Contributor
KEverts
Message 6 of 34 (1,935 Views)

08-25-2010 06:34 AM in reply to: dave.anderson

I am having the same issue. Running Windows 7 64bit.

I can't believe the only solution is to split up the .DWG file. We are moving from AutoCAD 3D and create DWF's on files that have 20 to 30 layouts without a problem from cad.

Also.. I have a certain assembly that has 12 variations except for length. Same amount of sheets on all. I can export to DWF fine on some and then all of a sudden Inventor gets tempermental and desides it wants to hang up on one. If I get persistant and keep trying I can normally win the battle. However, this can take sometimes 20-30 minutes to just get my DWF file exported. I really don't think the complexity or the amount of sheets is the issue.

Never seen the issue when I was running XP. I don't remember having this issue until moving to Win 7.

lhoang
Message 7 of 34 (1,930 Views)

08-25-2010 07:04 AM in reply to: lhoang

XP seems to be fine for us, Vista is giving us issues.  I don't know if it is a memory issue and Vista is taking up more memory?  that is my thought.

Contributor
KEverts
Message 8 of 34 (1,899 Views)

08-28-2010 03:26 AM in reply to: lhoang

I don't think it's a memory issue at all. It's getting terrible. I can't even export a 4 page drawing at times. Inventor is an awesome program in my book but then it lacks in such a simple area. I can open the DWG with AutoCAD and it doesn't have a problem creating the DWF/DWFx.

Our plans are to roll-out Inventor in early October and I have no clue how I'm going to share drawings throughout our companies. It bombs on PDF's and DWF's. I'd love to know how many people are having this issue because of it's just a couple of us...maybe it's something we're doing or some simple setting somewhere.

Valued Contributor
dominiekvanwest
Message 9 of 34 (1,649 Views)

01-21-2011 01:30 AM in reply to: KEverts

Hi,

I have the exact same problem, but with Inventor and Vault 2010.

When I try to check in some .idw files (with dwf attachment) it sometimes crashes, and it are absolutely not big files (+-400kB, 2 views of small assemblies, parts).

I made a program that creates and checks in parts/assemblies, but this can take sometimes up to 30min, so when it crashes, I have to start over again (or disable the checkin and manually check in all the files). I have already lost a lot of hours because of this.

Is there a solution yet?

Thanks in advance!

Dominiek

lhoang
Message 10 of 34 (1,643 Views)

01-21-2011 04:30 AM in reply to: lhoang

Unfortunately I haven't found a solution.  I have noticed that checking in and creating the dwf consumes a ton of memory as opposed to not creating the dwf.  I also noticed that Vista users experience more problems than XP.  The only thing I have been able to do is NOT create the dwf when checking in.  It is frustrating because even old projects created 1 or 2 versions ago would check in very quickly, but now...Yeah....good luck.  Like you said, even things not complicated seem too much for Inventor.  Of course it Must be our hardware as Autodesk's default response for everything. 

It is a running joke around here that, "Oh, must be your mouse driver" as I was told once by an Autodesk representative....really???? LOL! 

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.