Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor can't start

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
matteo.dironco
2161 Views, 16 Replies

Inventor can't start

Hi everibody!

I downloaded inventor professional 2014 3 months ago and everything worked fine. Then I updated to Windows 8.1 and the program stopped working because of error 0xc0000142. I also installed SP1 to solve this problem. However i can't start Inventor because i receive a error report ('a software probem has caused autodes inventor to close unexpctedly') every time i try to start it, few seconds after i click on the icon, when the program is loading. I reinstalled Inventor 4 times but i always have the same problem, and now i don't know what to do...

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
blair
in reply to: matteo.dironco

Try this:

Register Inventor:

1) Press [Windows] key to open Windows' start page

2) Type "cmd" to find "Command Prompt" > right mouse click on it > select "Run as administrator"

3) On "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type cd "c:\program files\autodesk\Inventor 2014\bin" > Enter

4) Type inventor /install > Enter

5) Wait for 1 min (inventor will be executed background then exit silently)

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 17

I did everything but I always receive the same error report...

Message 4 of 17
itadenm
in reply to: matteo.dironco

Hi,

What about turning back to a "restore point"  and wait with updating to Windows 8.1?

Message 5 of 17
SteveMDennis
in reply to: itadenm

Mateo, Are you still having issues with Win 8.1? You have 2014 and you have installed 2014 SP1? If you only did update installs you might have to do the following: see http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=22446139&linkID=9242018 I'm putting this here for others, it is the re-registration that someone asked you to do... So if I have this right you have tried this: 1) Install 2014 (or re-install) 2) installed 2014 SP1 3) did the extra re-registration and Inventor still won't start up?

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 17

I'm also having this exact issue. Windows 8.1. Here is what I did:

1. I was using the trial version of the AutoDesk Product Design Suite 2014 (the trial happens to be the Ultimate Version) until it ran out. 

2. I bought the sub for AutoDesk Product Design Suite 2014 standard version. 

3. I had to uninstall the Ultimate version and install Standard version. 

4. I ended up getting the 0xc0000142 error after installation finished. 

5. I got Inventor 2014 sp1 and installed fine. 

6. Opened inventor and logged in with my user id and pw. 

7. Immediately got the error "A software problem has caused Autodesk Inventor to close unexpectedly"

8. Found that there is an update for SP1 and installed it. Same error on Inventor startup. 

9. Tried the cmd prompt fix again. Same error on Inventor startup. 

10. Restarted computer. Same error. 

10. Uninstalled everything and reinstalled Inventor and content center only. Got SP1 again, did the cmd prompt. Same error (it didn't ask me to log in though). 

11. Got the update for SP1. Same error. 

12. Started up in safe mode, diagnostic mode, ran as administrator. Same error. 

I'm at a loss here, everything was working perfectly with the Trial and now I can't even start up Inventor... 

I'm in the middle of downloading and installing the trial version on my secondary laptop so I can at least get some work done while I get this resolved.

Please help! 

Message 7 of 17
blair
in reply to: tyler.nautican

There are a couple of updates for SP1, update #1 and #2. Both are required for Inventor 2014 on Windows 8.1 You might try re-registering Inventor: Register Inventor: 1) Press [Windows] key to open Windows' start page 2) Type "cmd" to find "Command Prompt" > right mouse click on it > select "Run as administrator" 3) On "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type cd "c:\program files\autodesk\Inventor 2014\bin" > Enter 4) Type inventor /install > Enter 5) Wait for 1 min (inventor will be executed background then exit silently)

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 17

I installed the Update #2 for SP1 which includes the Update #1 changes. I also did the cmd prompt as you described. Still getting the same error.

In safe mode, I'm not connected to the internet and I don't get the error, I just get the "Initializing" screen and then nothing happens.

Out of safe mode I disabled my antivirus and still get the same error.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,  

Message 9 of 17
blair

OS version and hardware specs?

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 17
tyler.nautican
in reply to: blair

Windows 8.1 64 bit, 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD. Attached is the dump file from the error. Maybe that will give you some insight. 

Message 11 of 17
blair

Did you do the Re-Register of Inventor?

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 17
tyler.nautican

Yes, I did re-register Inventor. Many times. 

Message 13 of 17
blair

Try this to do a proper clean un-install: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=21944945&linkID=9242018

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 14 of 17
blair

The worst part of this is all you would have had to do is change the Serial and Key numbers in the demo version and use the new Key and Serial numbers provided when you purchased the software.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 15 of 17
tyler.nautican

I did a clean Inventor uninstall and reinstalled with no luck. 

Message 16 of 17
tyler.nautican

So I created a new user account on my computer. When I started up Inventor, I didn't get the error but instead, got the log in screen like I had gotten the first time I ran Inventor on my normal account. I put in my information and Immediately the program crashed and is having the same error...

Could this be a connection problem? Maybe it is failing to connect to the server that checks my subscription credentials and causing it to crash? 

Message 17 of 17
blair

Win 8.1 seems to cause network WiFi issue problems which might be causing authorization/registration issues.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-8.1-wireless-networking-ipconfig,25555.html

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report