Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor can not do it, can you?

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
dho
Enthusiast
1031 Views, 17 Replies

Inventor can not do it, can you?

i like to place a fillet radius of .125 at the bottom of the triangular cut to simulate a ball end mill. Mr. Inventor2014 says it is too complicated to do.

how to get around? thanks.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
JDMather
in reply to: dho

I can do it (in Inventor) but first thing I noticed is that none of your sketches are constrained.

I didn't bother to go any further.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 18
blair

Which Feature, give extrusion number of attach an image with where you want the fillet(s)

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 18
blair
in reply to: JDMather

I didn't even get that far. How can you properly build a model without any constraints on the sketches. I hope this person didn't pay for their training.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 18
mcgyvr
in reply to: blair

clearly a PICNIC problem 😉

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 18
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi dho,

You're getting some rough feedback based on how you presented your question. But you're also getting some good advice in that you should always create sketches to be fully constrained. Often if we do not properly constrain and dimension a sketch, non-tangent points in the sketch will cause placed feature, such as fillets, to fail.

I would encourage you to spend some time tidying up your model and if you still think you've found a limitation, resubmit it, and I'm sure someone will offer some help.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 18
JDMather
in reply to: mcgyvr

Fillet.PNG  I think I would model significantly differently.

Does this part already exist in physical form?

If so, do you have a picture of actual part?

I don't think I would model the part like this in SolidWorks or in Inventor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 8 of 18
mbenoy

Like this?

43-1065-01.png

Michael Benoy
Designer
Scott Safety

Inventor 2013 Pro, Windows 7, 64bit
Intel® Xeon® Processor W3580 (8M Cache, 3.33 GHz)
12 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800
Message 9 of 18
dho
Enthusiast

added all the dimensions i could. INV accepts >.155r fillet skipping at the corners.

thanks.

Message 10 of 18
dho
Enthusiast
in reply to: mbenoy

if you can share with me your ipt.

thanks.

Message 11 of 18
JDMather

I superimposed your part in clear yellow overtop of one of the images to try to get a better idea of the design intent.

I think I can figure it out based on your dimensions, but it would be easier if your picture was better with less parallax error.

Also take the picture against a constrasting color like bright green or magenta or cyan or at least a white sheet of paper.  A gray part against gray background is harder to see.

Superimpose.PNG

EESignature

Message 12 of 18
cmharb

Here is my go. It took about 20 mins. I think i got the fillets where you want them. but that corner between the face, the loft and pocket will always be problematic because there is a complex curve between the pocket and the face... it dips down.

i do get some intresting results if i shell it, does anyone else get the 'stickie out bit' on the inside left hand side.

Its V14.

w7u-64sp1,iv14,intel.xeon.e5-2620 0 @2.00 2.00-32gb,gtx560-4gb
Message 13 of 18
WHolzwarth

Hmm. As told before by other members, it seems to be too complicated. I think, it could be done easier.

But as it is, I'd do it like this.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 14 of 18
rmerlob
in reply to: WHolzwarth

My take from looking at the pictures, and yes, you should constrain everything and maybe find a way to show a bit more design intent as it is it looks really random.

BTW does anyone else think that part looks ´´overmanufactured´´ if that term makes any sense. there´s no way that all those details are necessary, or maybe they are?

Also, to claim it´s Inventor´s fault you should be able to model it in another software correctly.

Message 15 of 18
dho
Enthusiast
in reply to: rmerlob

the way i presented my question is questionable. i am in no way blaming inventor. the subject line was trying to catch eyes and give compliment to anyone helping me. seems it backfired.

i am new to inventor, have not went thru any training. the best i got was half hour from the inventor sales person and couple video clips online.

this is an existing part in the stock room. i thought it might be a challenge for me to model it.

here now, i got couple .ipt. i shall go over them and learn something.

thanks to all.

Message 16 of 18
JDMather

This part is actually a good challenge (I am not satisfied with any of the "solutions" posted here).

I keep a collection of files like this that will make it into a book (if I ever find time to write it).

Thanks for posting it.

I don't have time to work out a "final solution" but it is going to involve the seldom used Intersect option of at least one feature and probably two.  I think the method I will end up using might be quite surprising, involving a couple of real tricks.

EESignature

Message 17 of 18
dho
Enthusiast

first, i shall thank everyone who tried to help me.
got hints from all the iptS, i moved extrusion8 after triangular extrusion9 (cut). inventor processed without an issue.
also i got response from INV sales/support (43-1065-01-support.ipt). here is his approach. but seems it did not represent truly the lower left ball end mill cut per 2D drawing.
"because you created the profile first in the pocket Extrusion with 0.125 R corners. When INV tried to blend these corners it was mathematically unable (remember 0.125 may not exactly equal 0.125 - 0.125000001 <> 0.12499999. The larger radius worked because it would skip over the corners where it was unable. the correct approach is to create the pocket with sharp corners and then fillet edges including the verticals. See attached."
the actual part does seem missing the ball end mill "turning" at the lower left corner which most models here omitted.
here is my try (43-1065-01-B.ipt), no deviation taken from 2D drawing even it had "logical" error which caused all the "fuss".
thanks again to all.

Message 18 of 18
mbenoy

@dho wrote:

if you can share with me your ipt.

thanks.

I deleted my file, but all I did was extrude your profile as a solid body, fillet the bottom, and then boolean cut the part with the new solid.  It will also work if you extrude your profile as a surface, patch the bottom, stitch, fillet, and then sculpt it out.  It's been a few days but I think I also extended your profile outside the part so it would cut clean thru to the outside.  I can redo the file but it's easy enough for you to try on your own if you're interested in that method.

Michael Benoy
Designer
Scott Safety

Inventor 2013 Pro, Windows 7, 64bit
Intel® Xeon® Processor W3580 (8M Cache, 3.33 GHz)
12 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report