Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Cable and Harness

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
moretti999
478 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor Cable and Harness

While placing wire properties in the Nailboard dwg, the length is listed in inches, but we work with the customer who requires the metric units.

I couldn't find anywhere what controls the units.

Anybody has any ideas?

Autodesk people are welcome to chime in.

ALso, while alowing to create the Custom Property "Wire Label", it is rather a static entity and does not update if we change the RefDes. Is there a way to create the dynamic labels?

Everybody's input is very much appreciated as usual

Regards,

AM

AM
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: moretti999

I'd guess that it follows the documents units.. So if harness document is in inches then nailboard would follow..

I use cable/harness all the time but never really used the nailboard for my applications so I can't help other than that..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
moretti999
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thank you for the answer.

Both assemblies - parent and the harness have units set to mm.

Still, the Lengths are shown in inches. So, sadly, all my options are exhausted.

Unless, of  course, there is an Easter Egg somewhere...

Do you have the same feeling that the C&H module hs not gone any improvements since its introduction?

Also, the AD reluctance to expand on that gives me some clues.

The local reseller have failed pathetically trying to explain its usefulness after some extra practical questions were asked.

Our management is contemplating to switch to SW Electrical, both 2D and 3D after that.

Again,

Thanks for trying to help.

Regards,

AM

AM
Message 4 of 7
mcgyvr

@moretti999 wrote:

Thank you for the answer.

Both assemblies - parent and the harness have units set to mm.

Still, the Lengths are shown in inches. So, sadly, all my options are exhausted.

Unless, of  course, there is an Easter Egg somewhere...

Do you have the same feeling that the C&H module hs not gone any improvements since its introduction?

Also, the AD reluctance to expand on that gives me some clues.

The local reseller have failed pathetically trying to explain its usefulness after some extra practical questions were asked.

Our management is contemplating to switch to SW Electrical, both 2D and 3D after that.

Again,

Thanks for trying to help.

Regards,

AM

Yes IMO the C&H module needs a massive update/improvement..

Never used the solidworks C&H module but make **** sure you demo the heck out of it to make sure its any better and worth the time/money to switch.

IMO is very rare that one can really justify the switch from INV to SWX or the other way around.. Both programs are roughly the same IMO and it will cost substantial time/money to switch. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 7
moretti999

This is exactly my take on it as well. Switching is easier to say, but there is always something that will cost quite a bit along way while trying to integrate the new CAD package.

I am fairly happy with Inventor capabilities regarding routing, but there should be more capabilities and flexibility.

SWX, for example allows you to work with fixed length cables, which we use quite a bit. And it does not allow you to stretch it while routing beyond its predefined length. Minor thing, but it sure make some people (like us) very happy. The terminal blocks are managed much, much better in SWX. There is a lot of flexibility there.

By the way, when I posted, what I meant about the length units being different was that when I go to the discrete wire in the view and place the property

for it, it would be persistently shown in inches. The Wire Run List shows the correct units. Not a big deal I guess, but, as I said earlier, it would be nice to be in control and see where all the values are coming from.

Anyway, I apologize for the ramblings, but finding someone who shares the thoughts helped to mollify my anguish.

Best regards,

AM

AM
Message 6 of 7
mcgyvr

@moretti999 wrote:

SWX, for example allows you to work with fixed length cables, which we use quite a bit. And it does not allow you to stretch it while routing beyond its predefined length. 

Thats EXACTLY what I've been saying Inventor should do for a few years now..Wonder if SWx was listening when Autodesk wasn't..

I want to create a harness in its own iam file and setup the "max" length of each wire.. Then be able to quickly just drop that harness.iam file into any upper level file and simply constrain the connectors/terminals,etc.. to where the should plug in and the route the wire and simply get an error if the routing/constraining has caused the max wire length to be exceeded. 

Autodesk is too focued on 1 harness specific to that upper level assembly when most of us "standardize" and might use the same harness in multiple upper level assemblies.. (just like a ribbon cable in a computer).. 

Message 7 of 7
moretti999

Amen to thatSmiley Happy

AM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report