Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor BOM - Parts List - Merge Stock Number then create group ID number

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Neil_Markham
2646 Views, 8 Replies

Inventor BOM - Parts List - Merge Stock Number then create group ID number

Hi,

My question is, after I have created a Frame Generator assembly and grouped the parts list by Stock Number how can I create an ID number for the group of stock number members?

12-05-2014 4-34-33 p.m..png

Thanks in Advance,

Neil

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: Neil_Markham

Are you saying you want to group them by both part number and length?  So that all pieces of the same length are grouped under one Item #? If this is what you want... read this:

http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/2013/05/frame-generator-parts-list-sorted-by.html

If not... what are you looking for?  I'll be happy to give it another shot.  🙂

Message 3 of 9
Neil_Markham
in reply to: cbenner

Hi Chris,

THank You for your response. That was a great post you directed me to, however, it's not quite what I'd like to achieve.

In the image above there are several different lengths of 21.3x2.0 CHS (round Hollow bar).

Firstly, I take the check mark away from "Enable Row Merge on Part Number Match" in the BOM, then in the parts list I group by STOCK NUMBER.

QTY automatically sums the INDIVIDUAL lengths to report total length and I have also removed the Item column.

Now all I need is to have one identifying number (not individual Item numbers) for the group of stock number members.

ID NUMBER - An identifying number applied to ALL 21.3x2.0 CHS members

QTY - A total length calculated of ALL 21.3x2.0 CHS members

STOCK NUMBER - iProperty Stock Number

I'm thinking this may have to be solved using iLogic?

Neil

Message 4 of 9
Neil_Markham

Ok, after some more exploration and experimentation, here’s what I have found;

The fact is, the BOM row merges based on the information in the Part Number field.
If I manipulate the BOM and place an equation in the Part Number field that refers to the Stock Number, I can now Row Merge the BOM based upon Stock Number (a non-unique shape description eg. C350l0 75x75x6.0 SHS)

01.png
I can copy the equation to all cells by dragging (similarly to the method in Excel)
I switch to the Structured TAB to observe the following;

02.png
The parts list created is as follows;

03.png
This is precisely what I was looking for, one item number for a steel section shape and the total quantity of that shape required.
So after a little parts list tweaking I achieved the following.

04.png

Message 5 of 9
cbenner

Great!  I'm glad you found the right combination that works for you.  That's usually half the battle in Inventor.  The information is there, we just need to figure out the right way to out it together for our individual requirements.

Message 6 of 9
jmenier

ChrisB,

So what would I have to do to make the parts, that the OP has labled the same, labled differently in my drawing. Basically I would like to have Inventor group all parts that are identical in size and length, as one part number. 

It is so bizzar that on some of my drawings this is how the BOM gets structured and on some it does not. I dont even know where the option to turn on/off this naming criteria is.

Thanks,

Josh M

BTW I have Inventor Pro 2015

Construction Engineer
Message 7 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: jmenier

Hello Josh,

Frame Generator components get their naming from the Content Center family table.  but length is so variable that there isn't really a good way to have each possible length listed in the family table... it would have to contain thousands of entries.  Have you read the blog post I mentioned up earlier in this thread?  It describes a procedure for combining Part Number and Length in the parts list by combining other properties.  If I read your question right, this may at least be lcose to what you are trying to do.

Message 8 of 9
sjxyz

Hi

I like the glimpse of that blog link - but within seconds it moves to another site. Is there another way to get to this page? Thanks

Message 9 of 9
serpennica

this is awesome,

working with frame generator parts, Inventor 2017.

Just some more Info, How to get the part number back.

If you delete the substitution the part number will be blank.

To get the original part numbers back, delete the substitution, then do a save.

You get the original part number back after the save.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report