Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

rbh4hwr
Message 1 of 4 (464 Views)
Accepted Solution

Inventor Assembly Tutorial, Insert 2D Part in Assembly

464 Views, 3 Replies
12-25-2013 08:22 AM

I'm trying to get a head start on an upcoming class on Inventor in the spring semester. Working through the tutorials, I am at the Assemblies section and it tells me to insert (Place Component) the Clamp Sketch.ipt but to right click and select Rotate Y 90 deg and then repeat for X before placing.

I can't get those options when attempting to place the sketch. Copied from the tutorial:

To save time, insert a 2D part in the assembly. Apply assembly constraints to position the 2D sketch on the base. Then extrude the sketch into a solid.

1. Start Place Component.
  2. Select Clamp Sketch.ipt and then click Open.
  3. Right-click before placing and select Rotate Y 90°. Right-click again and select Rotate X 90°.

The sketch component is oriented as shown in the following image.

Click in the graphics window to place one copy and then right-click and select OK, or press ESC to exit the command.

I must be missing an obvious setting here...

watson5
Message 2 of 4 (402 Views)

Re: Inventor Assembly Tutorial, Insert 2D Part in Assembly

12-27-2013 12:28 PM in reply to: rbh4hwr

I'm having the same problem.  Any help from someone with experience would be appreciated.

watson5
Message 3 of 4 (381 Views)

12-28-2013 03:51 PM in reply to: watson5

I think the rotation during component placing is a feature new to Inventor 2014.  The tutorial is (slightly) different for Inventor 2013.  To find the correct tutorial, download the Inventor 2013 off-line help, disable your internet connection to access the offline help, and then find the Assembly tutorial.  Placing the clamp sketch is accomplished with a couple constraints rather than rotating during placement.

rbh4hwr
Message 4 of 4 (371 Views)

12-29-2013 07:04 AM in reply to: rbh4hwr

Thanks for the help, I wondered if that wasn't the case.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.