Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Assembly Tutorial, Insert 2D Part in Assembly

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
rbh4hwr
848 Views, 3 Replies

Inventor Assembly Tutorial, Insert 2D Part in Assembly

I'm trying to get a head start on an upcoming class on Inventor in the spring semester. Working through the tutorials, I am at the Assemblies section and it tells me to insert (Place Component) the Clamp Sketch.ipt but to right click and select Rotate Y 90 deg and then repeat for X before placing.

I can't get those options when attempting to place the sketch. Copied from the tutorial:

To save time, insert a 2D part in the assembly. Apply assembly constraints to position the 2D sketch on the base. Then extrude the sketch into a solid.

1. Start Place Component.
  2. Select Clamp Sketch.ipt and then click Open.
  3. Right-click before placing and select Rotate Y 90°. Right-click again and select Rotate X 90°.

The sketch component is oriented as shown in the following image.

Click in the graphics window to place one copy and then right-click and select OK, or press ESC to exit the command.

I must be missing an obvious setting here...

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
watson5
in reply to: rbh4hwr

I'm having the same problem.  Any help from someone with experience would be appreciated.

Message 3 of 4
watson5
in reply to: watson5

I think the rotation during component placing is a feature new to Inventor 2014.  The tutorial is (slightly) different for Inventor 2013.  To find the correct tutorial, download the Inventor 2013 off-line help, disable your internet connection to access the offline help, and then find the Assembly tutorial.  Placing the clamp sketch is accomplished with a couple constraints rather than rotating during placement.

Message 4 of 4
rbh4hwr
in reply to: rbh4hwr

Thanks for the help, I wondered if that wasn't the case.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums