Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INVENTOR ASSEMBLY SAVES AS STEP-3DS MAX FILE FORMAT

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
JoeyG23832
370 Views, 1 Reply

INVENTOR ASSEMBLY SAVES AS STEP-3DS MAX FILE FORMAT

Need some help here. I need to save an assembly as a .step file. I clink file save copy as _Step_ok. When I open up the file properties its listed as a STEP 3ds max........ file type instead of just a plain step file. not familiar with 3ds max but from forum search it seems to be used for animation? I am just working in the machine mechanical design realm of inventor. Can anyone shed some light on how to save the file as a standard STEP format. I am thinking it is a setting problem.
Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
mslosar
in reply to: JoeyG23832

Almost positive it's because you've got max isntalled on the machine.

Max registered the .stp extension last. (Gotta find it ironic that there's a portion of an animation package that used the stp extension for something when they full well knew it was a common extension for 3D modeling) Anyhow, when you pull the properties on the file it queries the OS as to what the extension is registered too and it returns the max version.

Anyhow, with it being registerd to the OS as a max file, you get a max icon for it and the explanation you describe. If you start Inventor and open the stp file it should open itself just fine.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums