Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Assemblies - Aligning Model with XYZ Axis and vica-versa.

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
PafecDOGS
31334 Views, 10 Replies

Inventor Assemblies - Aligning Model with XYZ Axis and vica-versa.

Hi, we've discovered quite a complex assembly of ours from a while back isnt aligned with the XYZ axis properly - we think when the first part was inserted it wasnt auto-grounded (as an aside we keep having to re-tick the box "Place and ground first component at origin" in the assembly tab, it does not seem to stay ticked) and somehow got rotated before it was grounded. Now trying to create a drg of this component, although we can set the front face to a flat face to create the ortho views, when we dimension it we get weird dimensions due to the axis mis-alignment. In the past with this kind of thing, what i tend to do is unground the grounded part in the assy and mate the parts origin planes to the assy origin planes, then delete the mates and reground the part, but of course if a drg already exists of that assy, realigning the model makes the drg views go askew. I was wondering if there is anyway to realign the XYZ axis to the model rather than realign the model to the axis ...?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
admaiora
in reply to: PafecDOGS

Hi Pacef,

unground the first not aligned component, re-alligned correctly with assembly Origin planes  it would be better.

But if you don't want it, you can procede this way (not reallign the xis, but reallign the views for the drawing).

(Hoping that you have one model face, or workplane to refer orthogonally...)

Hope that it can helps you.

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
karthur1

You can align the views like is described in post #2 above.  If you want to align the model to the origin planes..... there is a tool for that.  First "Unground" the first component, then click the Assemble> Ground and Root Component tool (itsunder the "productivity" flyout.

Kirk

2014-06-05_0722.png

Message 4 of 11
PafecDOGS
in reply to: admaiora

Yes, that is what my supervisor did, but you'll notice, as in your clip, that when you realign the face to the front view, your XYZ axis are misaligned. The drg you created then gave you the required flat orthoganal views, but if you tried to dimension certain parts of those views you created, you'd get some very odd dimensions because of the XYZ issue ...

Message 5 of 11
PafecDOGS
in reply to: karthur1

Hi, that was certainly a tool I didnt know about, that was quite useful thanks, although my question is can you align the XYZ axis to the model and not the other way round which is what the tool does (although much quicker than i did mating the planes etc)

Message 6 of 11
karthur1

Nope, the origin planes and axis are fixed..... they are not editable.

You can only resize them and rename them, but you cant move them.

Kirk

Message 7 of 11
admaiora

You can RC and choose "annotation plane" > use sheet plane.

Admaiora
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
karthur1

@admaiora wrote:

You can RC and choose "annotation plane" > use sheet plane.

Note sure I follow you there.  Here is what I see when I RC on an origin plane.

Kirk

2014-06-05_0828.png

Message 9 of 11
admaiora
in reply to: karthur1

Sorry Kirk!

I refer to other post, about dimensions on the drawing.

It's possible to allign dimension from rotated model right clicking while positioning the distorted dimension

Admaiora

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
mcgyvr

Do it right.. unground/reconstrain the iam/ipt. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 11 of 11
heathpk
in reply to: mcgyvr

Awesome!  I didn't even know you could do that from the assembly view...duh.  Simple and quick...and CORRECT.  Thanks!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report