Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Assemble Command

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
garin
738 Views, 8 Replies

Inventor Assemble Command

I am a Product Manager for Inventor and have a quick question for those of you that use the Assemble command in Inventor. As many of you know, we added the Assemble command in Inventor 2010 to make it easier to position components and add constraints to them.

• Have you used it?
  • Do you use the Assemble command as your main tool to assemble components over the Constraint command?
  • What do you like about it?
  • What do you dislike about it?
  • How often do you use it over the Constraint command?

Thanks for any feedback!!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
karthur1
in reply to: garin

Garin,

Have tried it and it seemed to work ok.  A few quirks about it that I didnt like, so I just stuck with the constraint command.

1. When you would bring in a new part and try to assemble it to a part that is already fully constrianed, you have to pick the unconstrained part first, otherwise you get a error message and parts tend to fly around.

2. I use the insert constraint when I can (80% of the time) over mate. When I couldnt get the insert constrain in the flyout, I would have to cancel the command and then use constraint.  Got to be too much of a hassle, so I just stuck with the constraint command.

Pretty useless for me.  The constraint command works just fine.

Kirk

Message 3 of 9
PACDrafting

It's useless.

When you have an adaptive part and try to constrain say each end of a beam it doesn't work as it should. Using the standard constraint tool works fine in this regard.
Message 4 of 9
ampster401

I would not outright say it's useless...

tried it in the past month or so when someone else asked me what it was about.

I think I could get used to it in time, possibly as it mutures later on.

Message 5 of 9
blair

I find it's easier just to use the Contraint Command. The command is programmed into one of the buttons on my SpacePilot.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: blair

Garin,

I made a post about it when it first came out (might have been on the beta forum) because I can't find it on this one (but I didn't look too hard).. but here is what I wrote in another post. And for the record I do NOT use it at all because of this.

--------

I dislike the current implementation of the Assemble command and find it almost pointless. Great for one part..lousy workflow for constraining multiple parts. I don't like how you are forced to keep firing up the assemble command for each new part.. I made a post a few weeks ago about simply adding another button to the HUD to allow you to keep the dialog open and select another part to assemble after you are done with the first part.. If you could simply pick/assemble one part then go right to the next without having to fire up the assembly command again it would be much..much better.

-------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: mcgyvr

and this from a while ago too (mcad forums wishlist)

If you built kwiksert functionality into the assemble command it would be very useful.

--------------

add Kwiksert type functionality to the new "assemble" command. Simply adding an additional button to the HUD to allow you to then select the next mating feature that would automatically constrain an additional copy of the part you just used the assemble command for. Workflow would be as follows.. Place your new part. click assemble command. pick the feature on the placed part then the feature on the mating part. Then hit the new button which would apply the first constraint then allow you to select another feature which would automatically constrain another copy of the placed part there. existing OK button would then finishes the assemble.

------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 9
karthur1
in reply to: mcgyvr

....or build the kwiksert functionality into the constraint command... that would also be sweet.

Message 9 of 9
SBix26

If I recall correctly, I tried it in Inventor 2010, didn't see any advantage over the place and constrain workflow and haven't used it since.  I may have to have another look.  Has it been enhanced in any way since its introduction?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report