Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2016 - Hole feature bug

44 REPLIES 44
SOLVED
Message 1 of 45
marcusfriesl
17909 Views, 44 Replies

Inventor 2016 - Hole feature bug

I have started using Invnetor 2016, and have found that the Hole feature brings up error windows.  I have checked to insure that both the thread.xls and clearance.xls are in the correct directory, and that inventor is pointing to the correct directory.

When I switch to anything other than a simple hole, I get two error windows, attached as images.  After those error windows, it looks like the options are just peaking up at the bottom of the dialogue box, but the box can not be expanded and I can't get to these options.  This is only a problem with the Hole feature.

The error messages are CLSIDFromProfID() failed and NULL IDispatch passed to AutoWrapper()

I have no Idea how to fix this, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

hole1.jpg

hole2.jpg

hole3.jpg

hole4.jpg

Tags (2)
44 REPLIES 44
Message 2 of 45
Anonymous
in reply to: marcusfriesl

Do you have Excel installed?

Message 3 of 45
marcusfriesl
in reply to: Anonymous

John,

No, I don't have excel installed, we use google apps.  This hasn't been a problem in 2015 or 2014.

Message 4 of 45
Anonymous

Not sure what the problem might be here.

Have you run the application you are using instead of excel since you installed Inventor 2016?

Message 5 of 45
mdavis22569
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you tried a factory Ipart something with an excel table driven set up?

I'm betting it's the Google app ..and not "clicking/syn'g" or something with the new Inventor

They are clearly defining which versions of Office Excel

Microsoft® Excel 2007, 2010 or 2013 for iFeatures, iParts, iAssemblies, thread customization, Global BOM, Parts Lists, Revision Tables, and spreadsheet-driven designs.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 6 of 45
marcusfriesl
in reply to: mdavis22569

Michael,

I have never had excel installed, and this has never been an issue with any other version.  I can use the hole feature in 2015 right now without issue (Inventor 2015 has similiar requirements).  I have tried installing the excel viewer and running it to see if that would work, which it doesn't.  It looks as though after the error windows come up, there is text but the window can not be resized to see what it says.

Message 7 of 45
mdavis22569

Yes ...but 2015 isn't 2016... They may have not added the Add-in to the plans yet for 2016.

I'm wondering if it's an Excel issue. Quite a few versions of 16 are out there and working ..but how many of the people don't have Excel. Maybe you're one of the first and we're seeing that it won't work without the Excel.

Maybe one of the Admins on the board can help here?

Have you put in a support ticket for this problem?

Mike

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 8 of 45
marcusfriesl

Michael,

I'll buy excel, and see if that solves the issue, if it doesn't I will put in a support ticket.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 45
mdavis22569

Keep us posted, this will help others who might run into this problem too.

Mike

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 10 of 45
marcusfriesl

So the solution is to buy microsoft excel.  I'd be curious to know why this worked for every release until 2016.

Thanks.

Message 11 of 45
blair

Some people managed to get previous versions to work with OpenOffice while others had problems with OpenOffice. Who knows, they might have fixed other issues in dealing with Copy/Paste of Excel and this is the result.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 45
mdavis22569

If wait to see what the admins say. And I would put a ticket in. Maybe it's something quick they could tell you for a fix

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 13 of 45
blair

Since Microsoft Excel is a requirement for Inventor, I wouldn't hold my breath for anything.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 14 of 45
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: blair

Marcus,

Some code consolidation was done in Inventor 2016 to remove some legacy 3rd party components, so you now need to have Excel installed locally for some operations which previously didn't require it:

1. Hole creation (clearance & threaded),

2. BOM Table export,

3. Drawing Table export.

The error messaging does need improving though.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 45
mcgyvr
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

@ChrisMitchell01 wrote:

Marcus,

Some code consolidation was done in Inventor 2016 to remove some legacy 3rd party components, so you now need to have Excel installed locally for some operations which previously didn't require it:

1. Hole creation (clearance & threaded),

2. BOM Table export,

3. Drawing Table export.

The error messaging does need improving though.

Thanks,
Chris

Too bad Autodesk didn't just fix it right and 100% remove the dependency for Excel all together instead of ingraining it deeper. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 16 of 45
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: mcgyvr

Agreed - the work done in 2016 is only a partial step toward that end goal. We are now consistently "only" dependent on Excel as opposed to several different (now unsupported) technologies.

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 17 of 45

I've been doing some more investigations around this & there may be an unsupported workaround for those of you who don't have full install of Excel.

If you go to Control Panel, System, System Properties & then Advanced, you will be able to set an Environment variable. Create a new one called UseLibXL with a variable value of 1

Then retry your clearance/threaded hole creation in Inventor.

This will attempt to use a 3rd party component instead of Excel.

It doesn't support all aspects of what Excel provides but it should certainly work for holes.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 18 of 45

I got same errors when trying to create a nut. Enviorment variable solved the issue, thanks.

I'm using OpenOffice and Inventor 2016 RTM Update 1 , build:138

Message 19 of 45
aidankim1

Thanks, worked great!

Message 20 of 45
info

Worked Great for mee too! thanks a lot

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report