Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2015 System Requirements

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
jdits7
5350 Views, 18 Replies

Inventor 2015 System Requirements

Here are the system requirements for Inventor 2015, http://inventortopix.blogspot.com/2014/04/inventor-2015-system-requirements.html

jdits7
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Blog - http://www.inventortopix.com
Twitter - @InventorTopixJD
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
mcgyvr
in reply to: jdits7

ohh.. excel 2010 or 2013... 

Time to talk to IT for an upgrade.. We use 2007 company wide.. 

Lost showcase and now I need to upgrade microsoft excel just to use Inventor.. Another tick in the CON column for migrating to 2015.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 19
-niels-
in reply to: mcgyvr

Oh, you're right... i missed that bit...
Isn't it about time autodesk made inventor work with excel alternatives like openoffice so people can at least have the option to not have to pay for license upgrades they don't really need...

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 4 of 19
mcgyvr
in reply to: -niels-

@-niels- wrote:
Oh, you're right... i missed that bit...
Isn't it about time autodesk made inventor work with excel alternatives like openoffice so people can at least have the option to not have to pay for license upgrades they don't really need...

why even excel alternatives? (well I'm just thinking about iparts/iassemblies/ifeatures here).. Why can't the functionality to edit the columns/rows be integrated right into Inventor without the need to have excel even installed or even care what version I have..

But yes they should support excel and its alternatives for spreadsheet driven designs.. Or at least accept the standardized csv format or something like that.  

Not sure I've ever seen a program that you need to download another companies software just to use it.. 

I was going to put something on the ideastation then said "whats the point" 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 19
-niels-

Well, if you do decide to put something on the ideastation i'll be sure to cast my vote.
I can only agree with you on it being integrated without depending on other software.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 6 of 19
blair

There have been a few posts just over a year ago with peoples using OpenOffice with Inventor, they managed to get it to work. This probably has more to do with lawyers and covering buts and keeping Microsoft happy. But then again it's a new release and possibly no one at ADSK has really tested it with OpenOffice as they would all be on Office.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 19
mrattray

mcgyvr wrote:

Not sure I've ever seen a program that you need to download another companies software just to use it.. 

That's pretty common, actually, expecially in the LInux world. Can't the same be said for Windows, in fact? I hate the fact that if I ever want to install Inventor at home I'll have to buy a copy of Windows, first.

mcgyvr wrote:

I'd vote for it. Tell you what, you post that one and I'll post one for a Linux port. We'll see who gets more votes (my money is on you).

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 19
LT.Rusty
in reply to: mrattray

@mrattray wrote:

mcgyvr wrote:

That's pretty common, actually, expecially in the LInux world. Can't the same be said for Windows, in fact? I hate the fact that if I ever want to install Inventor at home I'll have to buy a copy of Windows, first.

mcgyvr wrote:

I'd vote for it. Tell you what, you post that one and I'll post one for a Linux port. We'll see who gets more votes (my money is on you).

Well, I get MS Office almost for free because of Microsoft's HUP, so it doesn't really matter to me if it's compatible with Open Office.  I'd probably give it a vote, though.

As far as Linux goes ... yeah, I'd give that a vote.  I'd do my best to vote Chicago-style on that one: early and often.  I'd have to create new email addresses and new accounts just to vote more on that.

If Autodesk software were available on Linux, I'd probably make the switch and not look back.  I don't do a lot of gaming, but Steam is on Linux now, so I'd probably still make out okay.  (Oh, and Inventor on Linux would pretty much force Open Office compatibility, since MS doesn't make Office for Linux.)

Rusty

EESignature

Message 9 of 19
swalton
in reply to: LT.Rusty

@LT.Rusty wrote:

As far as Linux goes ... yeah, I'd give that a vote.  I'd do my best to vote Chicago-style on that one: early and often.  I'd have to create new email addresses and new accounts just to vote more on that.

If Autodesk software were available on Linux, I'd probably make the switch and not look back.  I don't do a lot of gaming, but Steam is on Linux now, so I'd probably still make out okay.  (Oh, and Inventor on Linux would pretty much force Open Office compatibility, since MS doesn't make Office for Linux.)

I'm sure Autodesk will start on the Inventor for Linux as soon as Microsoft ports DirectX and .Net to Linux... (and IIS, and MSSQL...)

Smiley Wink

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 10 of 19
LT.Rusty
in reply to: swalton

I didn't say I was holding my breath, just that I'd be in favor of seeing it happen. 🙂

Rusty

EESignature

Message 11 of 19
blair
in reply to: LT.Rusty

My vote is in for OS2-Warp. Anything from IBM can't be bad. After all, they did pawn of DOS on Bill Gates.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 19
NathanLos

Hello,

I am looking into the rationale for removing Excel 2007 from the Inventor 2015 system requirements. I expect I'll be able to post the reasoning before the end of this week.

Thank you for your patience,

Nathan

Nathan Los
Principal Engineer
DLS-Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 13 of 19
mcgyvr
in reply to: NathanLos

@NathanLos wrote:

Hello,

I am looking into the rationale for removing Excel 2007 from the Inventor 2015 system requirements. I expect I'll be able to post the reasoning before the end of this week.

Thank you for your patience,

Nathan

Thanks Nathan.. I was hoping that might have been an oversight as last year 2003 was supported.. I wouldn't expect it to just jump right over 2007 so fast..

Message 14 of 19
NathanLos

Hi,

The Inventor QA team has confirmed that Excel 2007 is compatible with Inventor 2015 with no known issues.

As such, the Inventor 2015 system requirements now include Excel 2007 as a supported version. Please refer to http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl....

Thank you for reporting the issue and for your patience while we confirmed the behavior and updated the documentation.

Best regards,

Nathan

Nathan Los
Principal Engineer
DLS-Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 15 of 19
-niels-

Could you check if excel 2003 is also still compatible?
I don't mind if it's no longer supported, just want to know if we're going to have to upgrade.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 16 of 19
NathanLos

Hi,

Microsoft previously announced that extended support for Excel 2003 will end on April 8, 2014: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=2512. With this date in mind, Autodesk did not spend any time testing Inventor 2015 with Excel 2003.

I haven't heard of any compatibility issues, but please be aware that there are no guarantees when running this unsupported configuration.

Thanks,

Nathan

Nathan Los
Principal Engineer
DLS-Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.
Tags (2)
Message 17 of 19
-niels-

Thanks for the information Nathan.

From your comment i gather that it will probably still work with 2003, so there won't be an immediate problem.
But i will inform our IT person about the support issue and see how we'll go from there.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 18 of 19
issacgg

Im a student and have the 3 year lisence on all my autodesk programs..is there a way to upgrade for Inventor 2014 to 2015? I really like the Parametric Direct Editing. 

Message 19 of 19
joane.bonghanoy
in reply to: issacgg

Hi Isaac,

Feel free to download the 2015 version of Inventor from the Education Community site. You will then be provided the Serial Number and Product Key to activate the License.

Joane Bonghanoy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report